Been playing with some scrapers and just curious as to people’s thoughts on the benefit of having a negative rake (does it really make a difference). Also, curious what angle people like both for the negative rake (top) and the lower angle with or without negative rake. My bottom angles have been at about 80 degrees with no negative rake and thinking about taking it to 70 or so and see how it does.

I have several negative rake carbide. Not sure where I bought them Maybe Penn State. Not sure, On open segmented corian they are SLIGHTLY better. Less chiping. Will not buy anymore. I have an older 1/2" HSS scraper I reground at 65 degrees top and bottom Maybe it is me, but I am not impressed. The negative rake are more forgiving with fewer catces if someone is not holding the tool corectly. I still prefer regular scraper or gouge and shear scraping Just my 2 cents worth. I am sure others will have their own opinions
I am glad you ask.  They sure seem popular, but I have not gone down that road...........yet.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I did make my own Neg rake and I really did not care for how they performed and reground it back and used it as a shear scrapper for inside and outside work.  That is also one of the reasons I did not buy the carbide ones.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(07-12-2020, 11:28 AM)jcredding Wrote: Been playing with some scrapers and just curious as to people’s thoughts on the benefit of having a negative rake (does it really make a difference).  Also, curious what angle people like both for the negative rake (top) and the lower angle with or without negative rake.  My bottom angles have been at about 80 degrees with no negative rake and thinking about taking it to 70 or so and see how it does.

I reground a scraper to have a negative rake, and I'd say it's better.  But I did the angles by eye, so I can't help you there.
Scraper Questions