Ever since I went to a segmented head jointer/planer, I seem to be going through 55 gallon dust collection bags like crazy. Just wondering, how often do you have to empty your dust collector?

It really depends what I am doing. On a large project I can fill 2 - 55 gal drums in a day. With small projects a drum can last several weeks. I have a Winn filter on my DC, I will turn the internal paddles to knock the dust out of the pleats at least once a day. When using the 24" drum sander I will spin the paddles several times a day it seems the fine dust plugs the pleats much faster that the tablesaw or jointer and planer.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
It is very difficult to calculate frequency of Dust Collector Fill Reduction (DCFR) based on a calendar, frequency, or project involvement.

I prefer to document my DCFR based on percentage of fill.

Therefore I can say honestly that I dump mine at 10% overfill.  I should try for 25% underfill - but it never works that way.

More than a few times I have dumped mine at approximately 75% overfill. 

That is just an estimate since there is a fair amount still floating in the air. 

I consider myself fortunate if I can get the darn thing shut down before I look like some kind of baked-brown-suger-coated cookie dessert. 

Shortly (immediately?) after the shut down I evacuate The Shop and wait for the dust to settle (literally) . . . somewhere around 2 hours or so.
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
Never soon enough.
I did a project last summer where I was planing quite a few lengths of 1X6 pine.

I knew I was getting close, but I thought I could make it and finish before dumping the DC.  It caught up with me, though, and I ended up spending a couple hours getting the shavings out of the ducting farthest away from the collector.
Mine all exits outside into a pile
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-17-2020, 09:31 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Mine all exits outside into a pile

So does mine, right after I realize the da** thing is (over)full. YMMV

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone

I use a J. Thein Separator -  I know it is time to empty that when I see shavings start to collect in the plastic bag.  I also tried using a long dowel inserted through the top of the separator to gauge how full the separator is, but the results are inconsistent,  also put a plexiglass window in the separator can, but not enough light gets in there to see clearly.

To the original question, others have reported that changing to a segmented head greatly increased the volume of the chips.  I changed to segmented head a while ago, but have never tried to monitor whether it fills up quicker ,  since it would be some fairly detailed math .  Sometimes I am face jointing then planing a 12 inch wide board,  other times it is 3 inches wide, or just edge jointing 3/4 stock, so time that it is working is not a good indicator.
It seems to me that the segmented heads fill the can faster, though I'm not quite sure why. After all, it's the same amount of wood...just in smaller chips. I would have though the smaller chips would occupy less space.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Segmented heads seem to produce fluffy shavings that end up being quite a bit less dense then ordinary sawdust. I noticed when extracting the plastic bag from the 55 gallon barrel that the bag weighed maybe half what it used to weigh when I had the straight blade planer. It is of course way easier now to empty the barrel. FWIW, when I purchased my dust collection system, I went for the gizmo that tells you when the barrel is full. Once I got it dialed in (have to set the sensitivity on the sensor) I have not had sawdust backing up into the cyclone and filling the HEPA filter like it did a few times prior
Smile IMHO one of these sensors (I have the Oneida unit), properly setup, is not a bad investment.
Dust Collection: How Often Do You Empty Your Dust Bin