I have a 2-level deck. The lower level (14'x16') sits on 4 concrete pads about 6-12" off the ground. It adjoins the garage but is not attached. Half of the lower deck became "soft" so I pulled the composite deck boards and discovered the beams and joists are rotted through. The other half of the lower deck is fine.

The beams are double 2x6s. I think that was done to avoid excavating for 2x8 or 2x10 beams. I will replace one of the doubled 2x6 beams with a 2x10 ledger attached to the garage. The other double 2x6 beam will be replaced by double 2x8s. The problem is, putting 2x8s on the existing concrete pads will make the repaired area 2" too high.

Question: Would it be ok to notch the 2x8s around the concrete so the deck height remains the same? The new 2x8s will be anchored to existing 2x6 beams supporting the good half of the lower deck.

Thanks!

Sure, notch them and add an additional 2x6 along side the notched joist, screwed and glued, extending a foot or more past each way.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Why not just use three 2x6's as your replacement. No notching required.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

The currently “not attached” would concern me.  You don’t say your latitude.  If you are susceptible to freezes you need to make sure those four concrete pads extend below the frost line, and preferably extend to the same depth as the footers of your garage wall.  Else, attaching a free floating deck to a stationary garage sounds like trouble down the road.

(07-21-2020, 08:52 PM)srv52761 Wrote: The currently “not attached” would concern me.  You don’t say your latitude.  If you are susceptible to freezes you need to make sure those four concrete pads extend below the frost line, and preferably extend to the same depth as the footers of your garage wall.  Else, attaching a free floating deck to a stationary garage sounds like trouble down the road.

And likely not code compliant.  

John

(07-21-2020, 09:14 PM)jteneyck Wrote: And likely not code compliant.  

John

Why not?  if he attaches the deck to his garage, then it is no longer free-floating.  Decks are built attached to structures all the time.  Doing so doesn't make them not compliant.  His may be built in such a way that it isn't currently compliant, but just attaching it to his garage won't make it not compliant if it already is.  I agree that without knowing the depth of the footings for the deck I would not attach it to the garage.  If the visible parts of the construction are sketchy, it's highly likely the parts he can't see are also.

I live in southeastern Pennsylvania. Code for deck footers is 36". My concrete pads are all sunk at least 36" deep. The beams sit in Simpson post bases bolted to the concrete pads (the posts are not embedded in the concrete). I have no idea how deep the garage footers are, but the four deck pads are below the frost line.
id grind out the pad. if the 2 by 8s are notched to sit over/on the pad, then yer back down to 2 by 6 strength at a critical location.

how bout some pics so we can see exactly what ya have?
Pictures below to give perspective on location of damage and elevation. The affected area is 6' x 17'. I removed the gate post and started removing some of the joists with swift kicks.
Wow. Looks like some of the joists weren't pressure treated? Three look to be in good shape the others completely disintegrated.
deck debacle