My compressor tank rusted through. I had repaired it once with JB weld. That was 7or 8 years ago. Time for a new one.  Will the compressor serve as a vacuum pump if I plumb it in. It is a two piston oil base pump on a 2 HP motor made in the 60;s.

I recently looked at 4 different compressors with an eye toward making a vacuum pump.Three of them had no feasible way to connect the vacuum line. The fourth one would only pull about 15" of vacuum instead of the desired 25 to 28" so they all went in the dumpster. My guess is that the compression ratio just wasn't large enough.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
I'm not 100% sure if this is what you mean or not, but when I first started vacuum stuff, I bought one of the $20 little vacuum pumps that you attach to an air compressor.  It worked reasonably well on my compressor, which is an older Husky 20 gallon.  The current model of that compressor says the motor is a 1.3 HP motor.  Not a real high end unit by any means.  It did take quite a while to pull the vacuum, though - maybe 5 minutes or so, but I could usually eventually get above 20 inHG.  

Eventually the little pump box started having some issues and I bought one of those little all in one pumps that run in the $60-$80 range and have had much better results with that.  It has its own motor and pulls around 23-24 inHG in my paint pot in around a minute and is small enough to tuck away under my bench when I'm not using it.  I was a bit concerned about how well it would last, but I've had it for several years now and haven't had any issues at all.  Hope that helps!
I got this https://www.frugalvacuumchuck.com/  and he really helped us a lot on the price and did not charge shipping either.

Awesome pump and works great and you will not be disappointed either.

Edit to add he even put it all together for us since I knew I could not do it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

(07-22-2020, 11:24 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I got this https://www.frugalvacuumchuck.com/  and he really helped us a lot on the price and did not charge shipping either.

Awesome pump and works great and you will not be disappointed either.

Edit to add he even put it all together for us since I knew I could not do it.

Another endorsement for Bob. I met Bob and his wife at the Atlanta AAW Symposium and they were great people to work with. Great product and very down to earth people.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Vacuum pump