Bloomington Mike posted this link in the SS brake activation thread. They are doing super high speed videos of brake activations showing the violent reaction that takes place when the brake fires. At the 5:30 mark they install a dado blade then demo the hot dog activation. The braking force is so abrupt that some teeth fly off the top of the blade from an area of the blade that had not been impacted by the brake.

A couple years ago I activated the brake on my SS by hitting an incorrectly adjusted aluminum miter gage fence. The blade had a couple broken teeth but otherwise appeared ok. I had the blade repaired and resharpened by a local sharpening shop that has high end equipment. I put the blade back in use but it would not cut smoothly and sounded like it was wobbling. I kept it to use as a back up. 

After watching this video it went in the recycle bin.

[video=youtube]http://https://youtu.be/SYLAi4jwXcs[/video]

Mike, thanks for posting this video!

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone

Here's the link, I thought I had embedded the video ---

https://youtu.be/SYLAi4jwXcs

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
At work, it is company policy to NEVER reuse a blade that has been involved in a sawstop trigger.
It's not always the quiet ones who don't have much to say.

Thanks,  great video
(07-25-2020, 05:20 PM)The Tinman Wrote: At work, it is company policy to NEVER reuse a blade that has been involved in a sawstop trigger.

I sent  my blade to Forrest and had it inspected and the teeth I lost replaced and I did reuse mine. Been great ever since and has even been resharpened by Forrest since then.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(07-27-2020, 09:02 AM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: I sent  my blade to Forrest and had it inspected and the teeth I lost replaced and I did reuse mine. Been great ever since and has even been resharpened by Forrest since then.

One simple anogram    OSHA
All it would take is for just one tooth to come off of a salvaged blade to hit someone and that person would own the company.
It's not always the quiet ones who don't have much to say.

(07-27-2020, 09:12 PM)The Tinman Wrote: One simple anogram    OSHA
All it would take is for just one tooth to come off of a salvaged blade to hit someone and that person would own the company.

User of, and person around the saw already does
Smile

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Fascinating. I too, would never reuse a blade that was involved in a SawStop trigger. I doubt any blade manufacturers x-ray, perform dye penetrant, or ultrasonic tests on repaired blades prior to declaring them safe. After an activation, you simply cannot visually inspect the integrity of the metal you cannot see.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I didn't reuse mine when I triggered it some years ago (contacted the aluminum extrusion on my Incra mitre.)

I gave my triggered brake/embedded blade to a local high school where a friend taught woodshop; yes, some schools still do have an industrial arts program.  The district had just switched out the table saws for Sawstops.  My friend used the now-fused brake/blade assembly as a teaching aid during the safety portion of the curriculum.

If you watch that video closely, that blade flexes and shimmies significantly as the momentum dissipates.  Those blades are hard steel.  No telling what it did to the steel.
From what my local tool sharpening service told me today is that most sharpening services do not have the equipment to reset the saw blade plate. He told me that is usually found at the blade manufacturer. I have no reason to doubt that Forrest is probably the most recognized name that does perform this if necessary. I would have confidence in their blades after their service is performed to be safe and sound.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Anyone with a SawStop should watch this video