I found the two materials joined together in a dwv in my shower. Googling, I found the joint is not really “allowed” but is “accepted”, if using the correct glue. Since there is really no pressure in a dwv system, it should be ok, right?

Reason Im asking is I can’t find all the parts I need to redo this in pvc. I can find some in pvc and some abs....
VH07V  

I find transition glue to be an iffy choice. Rebuild what needs in all ABS and use a fernco to connect to the PVC.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Are Ferncos OK to be sealed up in the ceiling? The only access after the job is done will be to cut the drywall again.
VH07V  
Given a choice of either one properly installed, I’ll take a fernco.
Blackhat

Unfortunately more of the linear drains are being made out of ABS instead of PVC for some reason. For me if the drain is over a crawlspace or it's a slab it's not too big of a deal. If it's a second floor then yeah it's an issue. Personally I would never have a second floor with a bathroom or a bedroom... I dislike multifloor houses unless it has a basement or a game room upstairs. 

Here ABS pipe is only used out in the country on trailers since it's as floppy as a wet noodle and needs lots of hangars to keep the slope and even then it will sag between them. The only place that carries ABS fittings is ACE hardware outside of town.
Fortunately, it’s a very short run of a couple feet, so it should hold up.
VH07V  
I've done a half dozen such connections in my life and none have failed.  I've had ferncos fail though.
WoodNET... the new safespace
How did the fernco fail?
Blackhat

(08-11-2020, 08:56 AM)blackhat Wrote: How did the fernco fail?

The rubber cracked and dried and started dripping.  This happened in attic venting runs mostly.
WoodNET... the new safespace
The environment was too hot and they cooked. Understandable failure. Thx.
Blackhat

Gluing abs to pvc?