Do any of you have shop dogs? Mine follows me around like he's my shadow. I've been wondering though if the noise from the machinery would be harmful or heaven forbid, painful to their ears.

Anyone think that is a concern? He doesn't seem to mind though.

{Excuse to show off my little guy. Rescued him and his sister from a trash heap a few years ago.}

I do think it's harmful (the noise) and possibly breathing the fine dust as well. I've avoided having our dog in the shop (other than an occasional short visit from her to see me) for those reasons. That was the recommendation of our vet many, many years ago when we had a different dog.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

(08-23-2020, 02:55 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I do think it's harmful (the noise) and possibly breathing the fine dust as well. I've avoided having our dog in the shop (other than an occasional short visit from her to see me) for those reasons. That was the recommendation of our vet many, many years ago when we had a different dog.

None of my many dogs over the years would hang in the shop.   I always assumed it was the noise... but I also kinda think they're smart enough to decide if it bothers them and go (or not).
(08-23-2020, 02:34 PM)themoon Wrote: Do any of you have shop dogs? Mine follows me around like he's my shadow. I've been wondering though if the noise from the machinery would be harmful or heaven forbid, painful to their ears.

{Excuse to show off my little guy. Rescued him and his sister from a trash heap a few years ago.}

That sure is one cute little guy and you are to be congratulated for showing such an act of kindness.I got my dog from the SPCA,she is a shepherd/collie mix.Looks mostly shepherd.My shop is in the basement so she will occasionally come down with me.,but mention the word"drive"and she is all over me.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(08-23-2020, 02:34 PM)themoon Wrote: Do any of you have shop dogs? Mine follows me around like he's my shadow. I've been wondering though if the noise from the machinery would be harmful or heaven forbid, painful to their ears.

Most of the time my dog stays in the shop but if it gets too loud she leaves.   Sometime I make her leave for safety reasons as she take up a lot of real estate.  (Great Pyrenees )
 Tablesaw does not bother her but she's not fond of router or planer.   Roly
The previous Lab, Biskit, and the current Lab, Alli, are as addicted to the shop as I.  No amount of shop noise has ever seemed to bother either one.  Biskit hated thunder and Alli dislikes the weed eater. I have pictures of both nearly covered with shavings from the lathe.  I trust the shop noise is no more painful for my shop buddies than it is for me.  Labs are hunting dogs and seem to tolerate gun shots so I will use that as my measuring stick.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Toby was with me 24/7, nothing in the shop bothered him...the granddaughters golden is the same way, loves it here (no kids)....I usually have to turn the lights out to get him up to go home.

Nothing in here bothers the cat either.

Ed
Only one of our dogs liked being in the shop and it wasn't me or the shop he liked: it was snatching things glued up with hide glue that attracted him. Old Mac would come into the shop and sniff out anything with hide glue on, snatch it in his mouth and leave.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I would think that dog's ears have pretty much the same physiology as human ears, and that they would lose hearing in the same manner. So big noise, I'd kick them out, lathe, not so much.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Marlin was also a good bench dog....until he got to big.

Ed
Dog's in shop?