The price of a Pantorouter pro that has most of the accessories you need currently on sale for $1,649. The Domino 500 with the case of tenons cost $1,405 and the 700 with connectors would run a little more than a Pantorouter.

I like features on each option. The main difference is you bring the tool to the work with a Domino vs you need enough shop Space to bring the work to the tool with a Pantorouter.

I am thinking about a mortise and tenon upgrade from my hollow chisel mortiser. If you could only have one of the three options, which would you choose?

I know multi-router is another option, but that’s another grand in cost.
John

All comments and opinions welcome. I’m not married to anything yet.
John
In my mind, the Domino, hands down.

Perhaps the biggest game changer in my woodworking experience.

Try this with anything else:
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
I hadn't heard of the Pantorouter, that's one cool machine! I have a Domino, and think of it as handy but way overpriced. If you stock with the Festool tenons, you're limited to the widths they offer, though you can gang them up. If you make your own tenons, and use the Domino to cut wider mortises it's really not as convenient (seems to me) as the Pantorouter. Had you consider the now-mostly-forgotten Leigh FMT jig? It's a pretty amazing tool for M/T joints as well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

You can build one of my horizontal router mortisers for less than $100 from my free plans or you can buy an upgraded one for less than 1/3 of a Pantorouter, delivered to your door.  Quite a few folks here and elsewhere have one.  

[Image: ACtC-3cnkx06QdXDx6K4lpt-DNvVIZdEHwr7KURG...authuser=0]

John
I've owned a ton of the M&T jigs out there and the Festool Domino is the winner in my shop. I've had the Domino 500 for years and IMO it will change how you work in the shop. Being able to take a portable tool to the work piece is a huge benefit in a small shop. In addition, the Domino is just stupid easy in set-up and use... way faster than most other options.

I'm not a Festool snob, although I own lot's of Festool stuff. With a lot of the other tools offered by Festool, I can recommend other brands just as easily especially when price is factored into the purchasing decision. Domino is the one tool from them that IMO there really isn't an equal on the market.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
Looks like I need to do some more research. Thanks for the input so far.
John
If resale value is a consideration: get the domino joiner 500. It is a hot cake. Among the products mentioned, it is also the most versatile one (if you are willing to spend time learning all the tricks).

Is it overpriced? Not in the right hands.

Simon

(08-27-2020, 07:26 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: If resale value is a consideration: get the domino joiner 500. It is a hot cake. Among the products mentioned, it is also the most versatile one (if you are willing to spend time learning all the tricks).

Is it overpriced? Not in the right hands.

Simon

Sure can't argue with that.  When they do show up used, they go very quickly and at only a slight discount over new.
I have both,

Made a home built pantarouter years ago, it is definitely a very interesting and versatile tool.

I’ve also had a Leigh fmt also a very useful tool.

For the utility and being easy to use and setup, the domino wins in my book.

Duke
Pantorouter vs Domino.