I picked up a Laguna 16HD at an estate sale a while back and have been using the blade it came with.  Looks like it's about time I need to clean (possibly resharpen) the blade.  This got me thinking I should probably get a second blade just in case I do need to have it sent out to resharpen.  Reading the threads here I see many recommend either the Resaw King or WoodMaster CT.  They both seem to be about the same price.   Has anyone had a chance to use both and can give a comparison and recommend one over the other?  The blade length for my BS I believe is 150" if that makes a difference.

I use a Woodmaster CT, 1" x 1.3 tpi.  It is a LOT cheaper than a Resaw King, like maybe $100 cheaper IIRC.  The CT works so well that I've never considered buying a Resaw King so I can't give you any direct comparison.  My only comparative comment would be that if your primary reason for buying one of these blades is for resawing thick wood that the Resaw King is probably the better choice if your saw is in the 3 HP range.  It is substantially thinner than the CT.  But if you have 4 or 5 HP then the CT would be a better choice based on the lower price.  

John
John can you please provide a link to where you get your woodmaster ct from?   When I look at bandsaw blades direct I get $174.60 (12' 6" length) which is almost identical to the resaw king at $174.99 from woodcraft.  If I can get the ct for $100 it's a no brainer for me.  

https://www.bandsawbladesdirect.com/leno...saw-blades

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/resaw...de-1-x-150

(08-29-2020, 12:11 PM)jussi Wrote: John can you please provide a link to where you get your woodmaster ct from?   When I look at bandsaw blades direct I get $174.60 (12' 6" length) which is almost identical to the resaw king at $174.99 from woodcraft.  If I can get the ct for $100 it's a no brainer for me.  

https://www.bandsawbladesdirect.com/leno...saw-blades

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/resaw...de-1-x-150

Spectrum Supply.   Cheapest I've found.  $134.49 for my 162" blade.  

John
I use the Woodmaster CT as well on my Rikon 10-345 for resawing. It's a great blade IMO. I purchase mine from bandsawbladesdirect.com

HTH
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
I run a Resaw King, and I am happy with it. I have used and seen other blades that cut better and smoother when new. However, I have found the Resaw King to be consistent over the long term. Feel like it stays 'sharp enough' forever. No experience with the Woodmaster. I have experience with the Woodslicer, which is a Lenox blade, and I actually believe it cut smoother than the Resaw King, but dulled a lot faster.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
(08-29-2020, 11:29 AM)jussi Wrote: I picked up a Laguna 16HD at an estate sale a while back and have been using the blade it came with.  Looks like it's about time I need to clean (possibly resharpen) the blade.  This got me thinking I should probably get a second blade just in case I do need to have it sent out to resharpen.  Reading the threads here I see many recommend either the Resaw King or WoodMaster CT.  They both seem to be about the same price.   Has anyone had a chance to use both and can give a comparison and recommend one over the other?  The blade length for my BS I believe is 150" if that makes a difference.

There is some agreement that the Woodmaster should not be used on saws with wheels under around 17/18”. The reason is that the blades are fairly thick, and do not like sharp bends. The thinner Resaw King is then the preferred choice. 

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I used a WM CT and wouldn't buy another one. The teeth are too small so you can't resharpen it. I burned mine up after a few hours of use cutting an african blackwood log with it. Subsequently I bought a TriMaster that has resharpenable teeth. It's much more expensive but I expect it will be lower cost per bd ft cut.
Cellulose runs through my veins!

(08-30-2020, 11:42 AM)SteveS Wrote: I used a WM CT and wouldn't buy another one. The teeth are too small so you can't resharpen it. I burned mine up after a few hours of use cutting an african blackwood log with it. Subsequently I bought a TriMaster that has resharpenable teeth. It's much more expensive but I expect it will be lower cost per bd ft cut.

African Blackwood is really abrasive - Link.  For any blade to last a few hours in that stuff is testament to how good it is.  

The Woodmaster CT can be resharpened.  Connecticut Tool and Saw sells and sharpens Lennox carbide tipped blades.  Resharpening a carbide tipped blade is a toss up to me.  One like you had with only a few hours on it probably makes sense, but one that's been used for a couple of years may not be worth it.  Unlike circular saw blades, bandsaw blades fatigue over time from bending as they go around the wheels and sooner or later they will break.  I think it costs about 1/2 the price of a new blade to get one resharpened, after including shipping both ways.  I might chance getting a blade resharpened once.  A blade that breaks soon after being resharpened is money that could have been used to buy a new one.  For the same reason, I don't look at the TriMaster as a better option than the CT. You may choose to buy one for other reasons but cost savings is not likely to be one that pans out. 

John
I've used/owned both the Tri-Master as well as the Woodmaster CT and they are both great blades. I think the Woodmaster CT is a better resaw performer and better bargain when compared against the Tri-master. With that being said the carbide teeth on the Tri-master are more substantial so, it may provide a longer life especially if one plans on trying to resharpen a band.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
Resaw King or WoodMaster CT