15" Jet planer -- time for "THE TURN" and I'm not looking forward to it.  

Lots of little screws, etc and lots of chances to go OOPS
Mad
Mad
Mad

Can't complain, it has served me well but . . .

Any advice on what not to do, what to do first, etc etc
Confused
Confused
Confused

I've got the special little screwdriver so I'm equipped, but am I ready
Rolleyes
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)

Magnetic tip help retain the little "oops" screws??
Use a paint stick and mark the dull side, for future reference.
S.E. Alabama, formerly from Wisconsin.
I'm no expert but I've read of problems getting them repeated level because sawdust in and around them gets under them when loosened.

So I'd hit it with an air gun and make sure there is no sawdust hiding anywhere.

Don't accidentally hit an insert with the gun.
I have never turned all the cutters, only when chipped. First thing I have done is put a small drop of penetrating oil, I like Kroil. on the edge of the screw head. Then remove the screw. Clean the "seat" where the insert seats"CLEAN". Get every bit of wood out of the seat. Clean the screw. Clean the bottom of the insert. Install the screw and insert into the threaded hole. Finger tighten the screw. Wiggle the insert while starting to tighten it down, this is to seat the cutter. Then tighten to torque specs. On my Byrd head it called for 45 in/lbs on a #25 Torx head screw.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
What is the reason for rotating the cutters and how many bd/ft has been thru it?

Ed
Make sure you're using the correct Torx bit/driver.  I bought a 15" Powermatic a few months back and the first thing I did was remove all the cutters to facilitate cleaning off all the protectant goo.  The specs for the Powermatic call for a Torx 25 PLUS.  I also picked up THIS torque wrench from Home Depot and it worked perfectly.  It was time consuming, but I put on the satellite radio, pulled up a stool and just followed the directions ensuring the mating surfaces was clean with a drop of oil on the screw threads and aligning it by hand while tightening it down.
No idea how many BF -- it's been several years -- but there are several ridges showing up from unfriendly objects in the boards I've planed. Two or three cutters are missing entirely from such impacts. Too much of the lumber I plane is "old stock" that was sawn years ago and lots of dirt, etc from storage.

Knew I wanted to mark them but didn't think of a Paint Stick. .

Sounds like air compressor will get a workout
Wink

Thanks for the help.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Buff the back side of the inserts on 600 grit paper to remove any burrs or accumulated crud. I use PSA paper on a surface plate, MDF will work too. One finger on the insert, a few quick swipes. You can "feel" when it is clean.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone

Maybe its wrong but I use an impact to remove the screws.  Retighten by hand.  I've contemplated using a torque wrench.

On mine (Shellix) I found you can't just lift them off and turn.  You have to clean both the head and the insert.
Need to rotate cutters on Shelix head. Any advice?