Working on a band saw box. Dropped the back and of course it landed on the top right corner, the most fragile and exposed corner. It hasn't separated from the rest  of the back and is a combination of bent and broken.

I could cut off the corner and forget it but......I'd like to try to fix it. Hoping someone here has a suggestion to salvage the corner.

Thanks for reading,

g

[attachment=30037]

[attachment=30038]

[attachment=30039]
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone

I've never tried this, but in some woods, adding moisture will cause the compressed wood to expand or relax to near original shape.  

I wonder which you should do first: glue to repair the break or repair the compression?

Good luck.  Surely someone here knows better than I.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
....adding moisture....

Try this:

CA gap-filling glue the piece together (let it cure for several hours or overnight)

Soak the corner in warm to mildly hot water for 15 minutes, avoiding the glue line if possible.

Get a medium hot clothing iron (turn off the steam function) and a wet rag. Place wet rag over the wood and heat the crumbled part; if rag appears to be dry, wet it again and iron the wood gently.

May have to repeat the last step several times on different part of the corner. Fine sand the corner carefully to shape.

Good luck.

If the outcome is not what you expect, stainable wood epoxy is another option (but you need to have the finishing skill to match the final color). Cutting off the corner wouldn't be my choice.

Simon
For all the time it’s likely to take to fix it, you can probably make a couple of replacements.
Make a new one.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Bill, Wood2, Simon & Gary.

Should have mentioned that his isn't a super important piece, I thought I'd try to fix this as a skill builder for that time I really need to salvage a part. I have lifted some dents with a wet cloth and warm iron.

Gary, You are likely correct that making another back is the fastest repair but that is my last resort---

I don't have thick CA so will use Titebond applied with the smallest syringe & needle I have. Gonna give it a try this am, will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for your thoughts,

g

Break it off and re-glue it. The glued joint will be stronger than the wood itself.  Use tape to hold the piece in place.  Woodworker's 2 or 3 would work well.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.

(10-06-2020, 01:38 PM)Cooler Wrote: Break it off and re-glue it. The glued joint will be stronger than the wood itself.  Use tape to hold the piece in place.  Woodworker's 2 or 3 would work well.

While it's true that glue is stronger than wood, but once you break it off, esp. with using PVA glue, the piece tends to shift under pressure or at least it will take extra efforts to align the piece/grain. I had been to a guest presentation by a furniture repair guy, and he stressed the importance of not breaking off split pieces or veneers whenever possible. 

Simon
Well, I soaked it for 15-20 minutes then shook the water out of the crack. Used a hypodermic to inject some TBlll then did this:

[attachment=30086]

We'll see how it looks in the am----

Thanks for the interest,

g

Here's the final product and repair. The repair turned out better than I thought but far from perfect. Was good experience for when I screw something up that is really important.

Bandsawboxes have gotten my attention lately, generally quick to  build and are well recieved as gifts or fund raiser donations. When I saw these boxes made with a sandwich of BB ply I thought I'd tackle one using material from the shorts bin. I never considered that the cherry was ashort, wide piece  that ended up with the grain vertical. With the finish applied it went really dark on the top--not too pretty. Oh well, I'll pay better attention next time.

Here's the repaired corner:

[attachment=30260]

Couple shots of the box:

[attachment=30261]

[attachment=30262]

[attachment=30263]

Thanks for the advise!!

g

Dropped part--How to fix broken corner-repair pics added