when i ask you how to finish a bedside table made out of cherry.  16x16.  No thinking allowed/ Thnx.

Danish oil.

No thought allowed?  No problem.  I lost my mind a long time ago.  
Big Grin
(10-26-2020, 03:07 PM)weelis Wrote: when i ask you how to finish a bedside table made out of cherry.  16x16.  No thinking allowed/ Thnx.

Arm-R-Seal or Waterlox for hand application.  TC's EM-2000 for spraying.  

John
Oil based poly cut 50-50 with MS for wipe on, your choice of sheen....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I spray a coat of shellac and then wipe on poly mostly.  Sometimes I go with lacquer.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Equal parts of MS (or turpintine), BLO (or tung oil), and oil based poly (or alkyd varnish if you can find it). Love the look. A bit more durable than danish oil.
Ummm, I guess I would think about it because cherry can be made to look many different ways. Sapwood, hide or accent. UV protection or no? What else is in the room? Does the "client" like light or dark? Rich red or pale pink? Ease of care? Is there sufficient material to test finish schedule?  Etc., etc., etc.

Can't really get a good finish without thinking.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Minwax Antique oil. Favorite finish for cherry.
Arn-R-Seal and.or shellac. The simplest is what Admiral said - dilute the varnish by half and wipe on. If you are worried about blotching, wipe on a spit coat of shellac and then sand it off, then wipe on the varnish.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
my new favorite finish for cherry is Odie's Oil, applied with a buffer.  never felt or seen anything like it.
First thought that comes to your mind.