Do you think I get away without a diagonal support for this fence. It will have 3 pickets in between. Made out of redwood so it’s pretty light and joints are Double loose tenons with 2-1/2” mortises going into each of the rail and stile. So 2 - 5” sipo dominos. Was hoping to mimic the look of the rest of the fence and avoid the diagonal brace.

(11-03-2020, 04:35 PM)jussi Wrote: Do you think I get away without a diagonal support for this fence. It will have 3 pickets in between. Made out of redwood so it’s pretty light and joints are Double loose tenons with 2-1/2” mortises going into each of the rail and stile. So 2 - 5” sipo dominos.  Was hoping to mimic the look of the rest of the fence and avoid the diagonal brace.

Looks very nice.
Not a designer, so accept accordingly. 
First blush, I would think it would be fine, but I would probably pin each mortise with at least 2 dowels/fasteners. Curious, do you anticipate any load/weight/leaning humans or heavy hardware on the top?
BTW, I have built 2 similar gates (cedar, with partial solid wood slat inserts), with virtually no movement, other than due humidity/moisture, in the past 3 years

IMO if you glue the joints with a glue that doesn't creep, such as epoxy, plastic resin glue, or polyurethane glue, the frame won't sag so no diagonal brace will be needed.  Note that I did not include TB III in that list because it creeps.  If you use TB III anyway, peg the joints.   

John
Thank you both for the replies. Hoping that would be the case. John i have both epoxy (west system) and polyurethane (gorilla). Would the epoxy be superior? I’ll pin them as well for added support.

(11-03-2020, 05:12 PM)jussi Wrote: Thank you both for the replies. Hoping that would be the case. John i have both epoxy (west system) and polyurethane (gorilla). Would the epoxy be superior? I’ll pin them as well for added support.

Yes, epoxy might be better technically, but either would work well.  A real benefit of epoxy is that it does not need nor benefit from tight fitting joints.  I'm not saying sloppy is good, but an easy sliding fit is perfect for epoxy.  

And in case you didn't know, white vinegar works great for cleaning up epoxy squeeze out.  

John
Looks like the door is small and lightweight so shear and bending moment should be small. Tenons should be fine to react the loads without adding a compression member.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
I would incorporate a "Hidden" brace.  Embed a stainless steel wire as a diagonal.  The wire would run in angled small holes and would need hidden small eyebolts in capped pockets in each corner.  The bottom would be adjustable and its hole could be left exposed.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Thanks for the suggestions. Decided to build it as originally planned but pinned the tenons. Gate is an early present for my mom. Since covid hit she hasn’t been able to get out of the house. So gardening is only real form of exercise.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice!!

Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Great looking gates.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Will I need a diagonal support?