For the past 25 years, we have lived with these Ikea bench stools in our kitchen ...

[Image: F2.jpg]

We do not eat much at the bench, but they get used. More recently Lynndy suggested that we replace them, and I thought that this would be a good excuse to build something inspired by Wharton Escherick, whose stools are just so organic and profound in their simplicity. 

[Image: WEstool14.jpg]

The design was also influenced by a point made by Lynndy that a fixed-height footrest does not fit everyone. I thought about this and it occurred to me that the stretchers on the Escherick stools could form the basis of a slightly different design - make the seat three-sided, and one could choose the stretcher height to suit. 

The last requirement was that the wood must be Hard Maple, to match the kitchen I built a few years ago. I would have preferred a contrasting top, say in Walnut, but She Who Must Be Obeyed vetoed this. So ...

[Image: F1.jpg]

[Image: F3.jpg]

I did manage to get contrasting wedges for the tenons passed her
Smile

[Image: F4.jpg]

The stretchers ....

[Image: F5.jpg]

One last one ...

[Image: Final.jpg]

I'll am happy to post build photos if there is interest.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com

Very nice work as usual, Derek. I am inspired to make a couple of those now and would be very interested to see some of your build photos. I'll be using black cherry for mine.
Mike B.

One thing is for certain though. Whichever method you use, you can be absolutely certain that you are most assuredly doing it wrong.        Axehandle, 2/24/2016
Do not get in to much of a hurry buddy...  Arlin, 5/18/2022
Apology excepted.  TT. 2/25/20223
Very nice.

Differing heights on the cross stretchers is a great idea. Much improved photography is nice as well.

Ron
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/

(11-08-2020, 10:04 AM)Ron Brese Wrote: Very nice.

Differing heights on the cross stretchers is a great idea. Much improved photography is nice as well.

Ron

Thanks Ron.

The stretchers are Wharton Escherick's idea. The photography is courtesy of an iPhone 11 Plus and Photoshop Elements.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Those are very attractive stools, Derek. I like them a lot. Nice work.
Thanks Hank
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek
(11-08-2020, 08:08 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I'll am happy to post build photos if there is interest.

Yes please

Very nice, Derek. Clean design and excellent craftsmanship.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Both a very clever design and attractive too!  -Howard

(11-08-2020, 11:00 AM)Howard Pollack Wrote: Both a very clever design and attractive too!  -Howard

Would like to see the build espicially the seat shaping.
Thanks, E. Sims
Very nice!

What heights did you select from stretcher to seat on each side?
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
Three-sided stools