Recently became interested in band saw boxes and have made several different types. I had watched a video on YouTube from makesomething.com where the poster used a sandwich of hardwood front and back faces with several pieces of Baltic birch as the body. I thought this design was particularly interesting so paid a couple bucks, downloaded the plans and built this which you might remember from my dropped part thread a few weeks ago:

[attachment=31049]

Friends of ours saw the box and they both totally fell in love with the design and the plywood sandwich. They are good friends of ours, both are quite artistic so to have them flip out over that box was amazing to me. So, I decided to make both of them a box as a holiday gift. But it couldn’t be just any box. Thinking it over, I thought a double wide two drawer would work so loaded the pdf into Photoshop; duplicated the plan; flipped one over and placed it to the side and came up with this design which I think looks like a Great Horned Owl:

[attachment=31050] 

Making the box was pretty straightforward except sawing the top intersection of the two sides which I had made as a ¾” circle which looked “right”. Planning the band saw cuts, I realized that no way could that radius be cut with a ¼” blade. I decided to drill with a ¾” brad point I had here for drilling dog holes in my bench. Worked like a charm! Blending the saw cut to the drilled hole took a bunch of filing and sanding but it came out pretty well.

[attachment=31051]

[attachment=31052]

[attachment=31053]

[attachment=31054]

The faces are cherry with Baltic birch filler, the knobs (eyes) are cherry with African blackwood pupils. The finish is Bush oil—wipe on oil/varnish blend.

Thanks for looking, comments and questions are welcome!

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone

Wow,I love it.Beautiful job.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Looks great, they're going to love it.  I've made a few bandsaw boxes..............so much sanding!
Quite nice! (arrrrrgh, 17)
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-16-2020, 03:26 PM)shoottmx Wrote: Recently became interested in band saw boxes and have made several different types. I had watched a video on YouTube from makesomething.com where the poster used a sandwich of hardwood front and back faces with several pieces of Baltic birch as the body. I thought this design was particularly interesting so paid a couple bucks, downloaded the plans and built this which you might remember from my dropped part thread a few weeks ago:

Friends of ours saw the box and they both totally fell in love with the design and the plywood sandwich. They are good friends of ours, both are quite artistic so to have them flip out over that box was amazing to me. So, I decided to make both of them a box as a holiday gift. But it couldn’t be just any box. Thinking it over, I thought a double wide two drawer would work so loaded the pdf into Photoshop; duplicated the plan; flipped one over and placed it to the side and came up with this design which I think looks like a Great Horned Owl:

Making the box was pretty straightforward except sawing the top intersection of the two sides which I had made as a ¾” circle which looked “right”. Planning the band saw cuts, I realized that no way could that radius be cut with a ¼” blade. I decided to drill with a ¾” brad point I had here for drilling dog holes in my bench. Worked like a charm! Blending the saw cut to the drilled hole took a bunch of filing and sanding but it came out pretty well.

The faces are cherry with Baltic birch filler, the knobs (eyes) are cherry with African blackwood pupils. The finish is Bush oil—wipe on oil/varnish blend.

g

-
Clever design with very nice execution!!! 
-
See ya later,
Bill
(11-16-2020, 03:26 PM)shoottmx Wrote: Recently became interested in band saw boxes and have made several different types. I had watched a video on YouTube from makesomething.com where the poster used a sandwich of hardwood front and back faces with several pieces of Baltic birch as the body. I thought this design was particularly interesting so paid a couple bucks, downloaded the plans and built this which you might remember from my dropped part thread a few weeks ago:

A nice set of boxes.

g
I read the title and it was not what I expected.  I thought, "I didn't know Great Horned Owls nest in boxes."  !!!

Wow, simply a great looking box.  I haven't made a bandsaw box in many years, and now you're making get the itch to do it, again.
Very cool. I like the mix of ply and solid wood.

A band saw box is on my gotta try it list.  Some day.
(11-17-2020, 07:45 AM)WxMan Wrote: I read the title and it was not what I expected.  I thought, "I didn't know Great Horned Owls nest in boxes."  !!!

Wow, simply a great looking box.  I haven't made a bandsaw box in many years, and now you're making get the itch to do it, again.

WxMan,
I agree the title was misleading, I added "bandsaw" to the title. Dig in to a bandsaw box--They're kinda like drinking a beer, one often leads to another.

Thanks for your comments, g

(11-17-2020, 08:20 AM)stav Wrote: Very cool. I like the mix of ply and solid wood.

A band saw box is on my gotta try it list.  Some day.

Thanks Stav, the cool thing about them is you can easily make one in a day (not this one) and people love them. I'm not in love with the plywood but our friends are so that's what they're getting.

g

Great Horned Owl bandsaw box