Have (what I think) is a very large elm down on my land.  Cutting it up now and it has 2 or 3 large millable sections at the base.

Assuming it is Elm I have read it hard to dry. Very strong tendency to warp and twist.  Just curious if anyone has trit it and what your experience was?
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

I've milled and used lots of American Elm. Personally, I think Elm has one of the best looking grains out there.

IME it moves around like a hooker in church when you build something. Machining it in steps works best, rough it really big, semi finish then finish to size. Have extra stock on hand, you'll need it as some pieces will still warp.

Never tried to stain it, always used wipe on poly or linseed oil for a finish.

My handtool cabinet is made from it.

[attachment=31560]

[attachment=31561]
Milled some long ago. Yes, it moves around.
Made some tool handles with it.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I had an American elm tree taken down a few years ago. Had it cut to 1 1/2" thick. Didn't gave much warping while it dried, but it's a royal PITA to work with hand tools. As a side note, it's very popular with folks that burn wood. It gives a blue flame once you get it started.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$

(12-11-2020, 04:30 PM)DaveParkis Wrote: I had an American elm tree taken down a few years ago. Had it cut to 1 1/2" thick. Didn't gave much warping while it dried, but it's a royal PITA to work with hand tools. As a side note, it's very popular with folks that burn wood. It gives a blue flame once you get it started.

Not with this servant of an outdoor boiler.  It doesn't coal, so the fire either burns fast or goes out.  No middle ground.

Interlocked grain makes for moving boards.  If you get it at 1", as is common with band mills, plan on projects using <4 foot lengths.  In the days of circular rigs, I got it cut as 1 1/8", and got 13/16 fairly often.  

If you are married, don't bring it into the house to dry, only after.  Or find a good divorce attorney.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Elm was used for wheel felloes and naves (hubs) because it's tough.  Also for chair seats because it resists splitting.
We cut a dead elm and milled it two inches thick. Beautiful grain. I didn’t try making boards, just made live-edge benches from the full thickness. With the little I did with it, it was okay to work with.

I milled some elm (I was told it was red elm aka slippery elm) this Spring and had no trouble drying it to 7%.  I milled most of it at 5/4, 9 ft long and much of it about 12" wide.  Dried nice and flat.  I've used some of it and didn't have any trouble with it but none of it was less than 8" wide.  Friends warned me about how cantankerous it can be so I was pleasantly surprised that it behaved so well.  

If you think elm stinks cut some green English walnut.  Like 50 wet horses in a small barn.  

[Image: ACtC-3dawxgBgfIGBRLuPL0rFR84FYmG4_S2ED-6...authuser=0]

john
Brought home a 8" dia limb from the top of the tree.  Very tight rings. 50+ in this limb.

I split and planed it and then wet it to take some photos.  Does this look like Elm to you? Not what I was expecting.  The bark and leaves lead me toward Oak or Elm and this looks nothing like Oak.  Nothing else native to the south has the bark and shape of leaf. Of course the leaves are 99% gone and what is left is dry, brown and curled up so just have a general idea there.

[Image: jJ4Hewlh.jpg]

[Image: udqLgZV.jpg]

[Image: KbmqkeA.jpg]

[Image: STuGm6R.jpg]
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

Yikes! John. Looks like that band was a tad bit dull...

Ed
Anyone mill and dry ELM?