We’re considering having a new house built soon.
I know of some of the things/steps involved, but I also know that there is a lot that I don’t know about all that’s involved. I’ve bought a house, but not had one built.

There’s a cosmos of resources out there, so to help narrow that down I’m asking for recommendations on comprehensive guides (books, websites, videos, etc) that will help with the process, or knowing the processes/steps involved.
Thanks in advance for the recommended sources!
Ray

We built 15yrs ago and its ALL about your builder - we thought ours was great until things got started then the poop started flowing. We are planning on building again next year to downsize and have a builder picked - but he has done a bunch of things for us at this house (fixing what the other person screwed up) so we are 100% sure he is the right one.

You can educate yourself all you want but in the end its who you pick as your Builder.....do THAT research rather than read a bunch of books or websites.
Good point. Of course the GC is most important. Fortunately we have resources and connections to help mitigate that risk.
But on that note what questions should I ask of a GC as part of the vetting process?
Ray

(12-15-2020, 10:08 AM)DogwoodTales Wrote: But on that note what questions should I ask of a GC as part of the vetting process?

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAOWO...66&bih=649
First, watch this movie, one of my all-time favorite classics.  

[attachment=31633]

Then, pick the contractor.  And the architect.  And the banker.  

Post progress pics, of course.  
Big Grin

OK, I have nothing useful to add. 
Laugh  But I am interested in the process.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
If you're not gonna be able to go to the site and look for yourself, make sure the superintendent is doing it... and he or she is willing to tell the framers to rip out the wall that's crooked or in the wrong place.  And they need to catch things the plumber might do that interferes with the drywall... because chances are at least good the drywall guy is just going to cover things up and get out of there.  Have some blocking put in for towel racks and safety grab bars and such, and take pictures so you know where they are if you'll be putting that stuff up.
Assuming you aren't planning on being the GC:

Do your very best to vet the builders quoting the job and ask for references, with Ph#s so you can talk to past clients. Look for a builder who has been around a while. A newly formed business would scare the bejeezis out of me. Don't count on your county code inspector to be your friend. They don't get paid much and could care less about workmanship, just code.

You might consider finding a veteran home inspector to do phase inspections for you. Ask him for copies/samples of previous phase inspection reports. I wouldn't trust a rookie inspector for this. They will be more picky than the county inspector. Expect to pay about $1200-$1500 for 3 visits. Foundation, Pre-drywall and Final inspection. I do these but I really can't stand doing them because the builder doesn't have to do anything unless the county inspector calls him out on something.

Check your state laws concerning dealing with builders. Here in MD, a builder cannot take more than 10% down payment and he can only collect your money at predetermined phases of the construction like foundation completion, framing completion, elec/mech completion, drywall, and exterior close in etc. This should all be in your contract with the builder. Your lender may have a contract for this. Sometimes it better to take a loan out for the build, even if you have the cash to build it. The bank cuts the checks to the builder and sends out someone to verify the work is done. That way, if he goes AWOL, your aren't buried too deep.

I've seen a few great builders and about the same number of lousy ones.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Modern carpentry by Willis Wagner
Being my own GC is sorta a consideration. I would at least want someone to help me with that. I’ve built storage sheds and did some minor remodeling work, but this is a bigger beast than my experience. I can and will want to do some of the work myself (nothing structural, just like run the wire to the outlets, make my own kitchen cabinets, and leaving as much unfinished as allowed and still get a certificate of occupancy, painting - I’ll get to the rest later).
Installing grab bars and such in bathrooms etc will be part of the plan anyway, but good points on things above and making sure ‘mistakes’ aren’t buried behind drywall etc.
Thanks!
Ray
What the others have said +

Know what inspections are due and when and follow up to make sure they get done. when they're supposed to. Also verify permits. This house, the final inspection on the well was not done when it should have been. I only found out after calling the county to verify everything was ready for the C.O. Luckily they were able to do it and not delay things further.
I strongly recommend financing, even if you have cash, and then paying the loan off after its done. The builder then has to deal with the bank and won't get paid unless certain things are complete.

Guide to building a new house