Seems I have a nice supply of thin Aromatic Red Cedar slats.....had to buy a carton of the stuff....to get 4 slats for the bottom of a Blanket Chest project.....Which left a big stack of stuff like this....
Rolleyes  

Thought about those small souvenir boxes places are always trying to sell.....Thought maybe I'd try a few..

First attempt....after the tongue and grooves were ripped off...was made using finger/box joints...

Dry fit....decided to glue the top and bottom in place....after things were cleaned up..

And a marking gauge run around...

So I could slice off the lid..

Plane away the saw marks...try some way too big hinges...

And, of course the last screw used here, split the wood....added a latch, too..no splits there, though...
Rolleyes 

And a handle on each end...

needed a brush to apply a coat of varnish.....

And a lot of "issues" with the finger joints...oops
No 

Decided the next versions will use ...dovetails...

Stay tuned...
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that

Cedar Box #2...
Was out of practice doing them dovetails....even thought a scrollsaw could help...
Uhoh
[attachment=31659]
Pins first, by hand....tails by scrollsaw....well, it was just a thought....Pins on one corner were cut backwards....so that mess was sawn off...
[attachment=31660]
back to Olde School...
[attachment=31661]
Interesting fact...that is an older version of the Stanley Bevel Gauge....the angled end matches the angle of the dovetails I was doing....the newer versions are too...pointy
Confused
[attachment=31662]
Made layouts a lot easier.   Was finally able to get this glued up..
[attachment=31663]
let it sit a day....then clean and square it up...
[attachment=31664]
And slice the lid off....block plane to remove the saw marks...so the lid will sit a bit better than Version 1 did...
[attachment=31665]
Corners didn't look too bad, either...
Rolleyes
[attachment=31666]

Was out of hinges, latches and handles...Road Trip to Hobby Lobby yesterday....$14 and change...and no wrecks in the snow..
Winkgrin
[attachment=31667]
Should last a few boxes.   It was cheaper for me to just drive up there, than to pay for them to ship the parts to me...called being FRUGAL, not cheap...
[attachment=31668]
I also remembered to pick up some brushes, while out & about.....
Winkgrin

Wondering about a tray of some kind.....splayed out sides...handle down the middle?  Or..no handle?    Tray bottom a glued up affair?   Dovetails on the corners? 

Have plenty of stock to work from....carton is sold as Closet Liner.....15 sq ft of 1/4" T&G 4" wide, random length.....smooth one side...$30....
Upset

So....maybe a post about working with ( or, around) this stuff?
Confused

stay tuned...
Winkgrin
Noticed the angle on the old bevel square but didn't think about it. Good observation. Working with thin woods give me fits, guess I have to learn not to be so heavy hanged
Loaded up a box, and headed to the shop...
Winkgrin  
[attachment=31671]
Took a couple trips...Box #1....Camera....Brushes....I think I got everything..
Rolleyes 
Laid out where the hinges will go..
[attachment=31672]
To be followed by another...
[attachment=31673]

Then, since the hinges were out...removed the huge clunky ones from Box #1...and used the smaller hinges to replace them..
Cool
[attachment=31674]
Block plane to level the patches, round a few edges.....

Box #2 also gets a latch....front of the box had a high spot...
[attachment=31675]
had being the operative word..
[attachment=31676]

and then something to carry the box around with...
[attachment=31677]
Then both got a good sanding, a bit more plane work, and more sanding.....then a good wipe down.  Then brushed on some varnish...
[attachment=31678]
Just on all the outside surfaces...trying NOT to get any on the insides...
[attachment=31679]
Then set out all the remaining Red Cedar boards...away from the drying varnish...
[attachment=31680]
To sort through for parts for a tray...or 2....

Waiting on the varnish to dry overnight....then rub it out,,and see about a second coat....

as for the Tray? 
Stay tuned....
Winkgrin
I use red cedar for a lot of outdoor applications.  I made several largish (2'x4') planter boxes and a cold frame about 10 years ago, and they are still going strong.
Second coat has been rubbed out.   Smaller of the two boxes has been delivered....Wife's pastor gets a little present each year about this time....larger box is still awaiting a place to go...

Ok...parts for a tray...
[attachment=31730]
Did not like the way the T&G were lining up....ripped those off...trying for about 12" length by 9" width...was able to do a glue up...
[attachment=31731]
trying to install a c clamp onto 2 cauls, while holding the panel and the cauls steady.....and tightening the clamp...FUN
Uhoh 

Another short section of plank, was ripped down the center..
[attachment=31732]
Edges were jointed so the 2 will match each other..
[attachment=31733]
These planks have one smooth face, and one a bit....rough....smoother took care of the rough..
[attachment=31734]
Used these "ends" to help lay out the handled sides...
[attachment=31735]
Then drill a 1" diameter hole at one end of the handle....and fire up the scrollsaw..
[attachment=31736]
To get something like this...
Cool  
[attachment=31737]
And, of course, had to smooth plane the rough side...smooth, again 
[attachment=31738]
Waiting on the glue up..
During Laundry Detail.....clamps removed from the glued up panel....panel was trimmed for square....ripped a bit for width...then over to the bench..
Winkgrin
[attachment=31741]
To clean off dried glue, and level the glue joints.   one face was already smooth...the other face was very rough sawn....
[attachment=31742]
Stanley No. 3, Type 11 took care of both.....so, maybe Tuesday, I can work on the corner joints?
[attachment=31743]
As soon as I figure out which to use....
Confused

Stay tuned...
Winkgrin
Laundry Detail, good enough for an hour or two in the shop? 
Winkgrin  Rounded up a few tools..
Rolleyes 
[attachment=31791]
Then a bit of layout...pins first, of course..
[attachment=31792]
use a big saw to make a few cuts...
Rolleyes  
[attachment=31793]
Chop out the waste...
[attachment=31794]
Oops....try better with the next set...at least that will be on the inside...
Rolleyes 

use the pins to lay out the tails....bandsaw to saw those out...
[attachment=31795]
I might just be getting the hang of doing these...
Winkgrin 

had an issue with corner #4.....enough that it became Corner #3...and redo #4....
[attachment=31796]
Then lay this mess down on the panel, to see how close a fit I came up with...
Rolleyes  
[attachment=31797]
So...the next night's Laundry Detail.......
[attachment=31798]
Set things over on the "assembly table"   set up some clamps....spread some glue all around...
[attachment=31799]
Dovetails were tight enough to not really need the longer clamps,,,,had plenty of C clamps to use, though...
Rolleyes
[attachment=31800]
Towels were dry, so I left this alone for the night....may check on it, later today...

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Clamps came off today, trying to clean up the glue joints, was a matter of HOW to hold the tray securely enough...as I did have some end grain to plane on the ends of the tray..soooo
Rolleyes   [attachment=31807]
handles made things a bit tricky...end grain was sticking out a bit more than the end of the tray was....I also rounded over the edges a bit....then tried the sides...can't use the vise, handles would not take being clamped too well.....while I was using a plane...so 
[attachment=31808]
Later added a second clamp...
Cool  
[attachment=31809]
Around the inside of the handles....I used a dremel sanding drum....to round over the grips a bit....areas where the planes can't get to....Other curved spots around the top edges, a S. Smith & Sons do a bit of work..
Winkgrin 
[attachment=31810]
Then sanded everything to 320 grit, and then wiped it all nice and clean....then a coat of varnish....and then, on the 2nd try, I got a piece of plexiglass to fit inside the tray..
Cool
[attachment=31811]
Letting the still wet varnish "glue" the plexi in place...let this sit until the weekend...be a little busy tomorrow..

Stay tuned....
Cool
And...back to box making...I went through all the remaining Cedar slats.....cut out the worst of the knots...removed the nasty T&Gs from the factory...Then see what I can make...

Well, two fairly long and almost clear slats want to get "curvy"   clamped them up in the vise, to flatten the curves...
Rolleyes  
[attachment=31828]
Then sorted through a few more...got 2 to almost match....
[attachment=31829]
One a lot shorter than the other?   Going to be the ends for the next box....but..I needed a second such panel..
Winkgrin 
[attachment=31830]
Let these 2 panels sit a day..or 2
Rolleyes ....Then sorted a couple sides for the box...
[attachment=31831]
haven't decided on the exact length...yet
Confused  Plus...i have all of this...
[attachment=31832]
To find a use for....maybe compartments inside the box?    Bottom of the box will be some 1/4" plywood....

Stay tuned....
Winkgrin
Boxes of Red Cedar