When I started making the small dovetail chisels I did not have the ability to make a chisel as small as 1/8", however I had several request for this size so I started thinking about how to make this little chisel without having to make a large expenditure on a magnetic sine chuck.

It required making a dedicated jig just for this size. On a 1/8" wide chisel with 20 degree side bevels and near zero land on the edges the flat left at the top is only .040 to .045 wide. This is the amount of area left to hold after milling the bevel on one edge. When I look at the completed chisel blade now I'm still amazed that I'm able to hold it to mill the second side. Nevertheless the jig works.

The first pic features the 1/8" chisel with Macassar Ebony handle, the second pic features infused curly maple handles and has the 1/8" chisel on the left in comparison with a 5/8, 3/4, and 1" wide chisel

Ron

[Image: 1%253A8%2Bme%253Ae.jpg]

[Image: 1%253A8%2Bcm%253Ae.jpg]
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/

Stunning and impressive! Those look amazing.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I use my 1/8" chisel often though it challenges my hand held honing routine.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure

(12-18-2020, 11:48 AM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: I use my 1/8" chisel often though it challenges my hand held honing routine.

I Found the Kell Jig to be helpful after a bit of fiddling to get it mounted square. 

Ron
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/

(12-18-2020, 12:13 PM)Ron Brese Wrote: I Found the Kell Jig to be helpful after a bit of fiddling to get it mounted square. 

Ron

Beautiful work as usual, Ron....sharpening a 1/8" chisel is as hard as sharpening engravers..jig or no jig!!!!
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Those are beautiful.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
Wow, very nice Ron-it looks great!
Another.....*Awesome* looking tool
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-18-2020, 11:00 AM)Ron Brese Wrote: When I started making the small dovetail chisels I did not have the ability to make a chisel as small as 1/8", however I had several request for this size so I started thinking about how to make this little chisel without having to make a large expenditure on a magnetic sine chuck.

It required making a dedicated jig just for this size. On a 1/8" wide chisel with 20 degree side bevels and near zero land on the edges the flat left at the top is only .040 to .045 wide. This is the amount of area left to hold after milling the bevel on one edge. When I look at the completed chisel blade now I'm still amazed that I'm able to hold it to mill the second side. Nevertheless the jig works.

The first pic features the 1/8" chisel with Macassar Ebony handle, the second pic features infused curly maple handles and has the 1/8" chisel on the left in comparison with a 5/8, 3/4, and 1" wide chisel

Ron

[Image: 1%253A8%2Bme%253Ae.jpg]

[Image: 1%253A8%2Bcm%253Ae.jpg]

Well, I know a guy that will buy a 1/8" and 3/16" from you in curly maple.
Yes
BontzSawWorks.net

Another strong vote for the Richard Kell jig.

Does a great job at keeping narrow chisels square.

David Charlesworth
1/8" chisels