Had to pull a stump and couldn't get a good swing with the axe to cut roots. That and bad back problems made me use my head instead. A couple of 4x4 posts, big bolt and a come a long did the trick. Hope this saves someone else's back.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer

Looks good...I’ve used a hi-lift jack and a lever on fence posts (they had a concrete “root ball” just about as big as you’ve got there.)
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp

(12-23-2020, 09:56 PM)MauleSkinner Wrote: Looks good...I’ve used a hi-lift jack and a lever on fence posts (they had a concrete “root ball” just about as big as you’ve got there.)

One of my first jobs was installing fences and removing old ones. 1 st job was a chainlink that they said was put in in the 30's. Each concrete ball was almost 2 x 3 feet! Heavy!
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
good idea!  Might have to make one of those.  I try not to pull too many...I've got a guy that will grind them for $2 / inch of diameter (probably would have charged less than $20 for something like that), but every now and then, it is good to just get it out so we can call the job "done"!

Thanks for sharing

Oh yeah, that works great.  If you have a set of log tongs and a chain fall it makes the job go faster on things like beams buried 4' down. 

[Image: nZZDHCInepCYtQoNhPyfY-Ij5V13BDkD0zfFooLJ...authuser=0]
That's a good idea for smaller stuff. The last stump I dug out, not even a tractor was able to pull it. We were lucky that it was some kind of overgrown bush that grew as a lot of separate smaller trunks so we were able to split off smaller pieces fairly easily and dig/pull those until we got it down to a size that we could finally pull the rest.

Good idea. I usually burn ours out.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

There is one I was considering using a cherry picker on, still might
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I have used the chain wrapped around the roots hooked to a rental Penske truck more than once... Works better than a tractor since the truck has allot more inertia since it's far heavier. 

Now for the stumps I have in the back yard to get rid of it'll take more than a 100 ton crane to get them out as they are post oak stumps the smallest is 12" diameter trunk up to around 20". Post oak grows extremely slowly so an 8" tree can easily be 75 years old or older. Extremely heavy hard and useless for woodworking as they are gnarly crooked trees but do have good burls from time to time.

(01-02-2021, 04:45 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: I have used the chain wrapped around the roots hooked to a rental Penske truck more than once... Works better than a tractor since the truck has allot more inertia since it's far heavier. 

Now for the stumps I have in the back yard to get rid of it'll take more than a 100 ton crane to get them out as they are post oak stumps the smallest is 12" diameter trunk up to around 20". Post oak grows extremely slowly so an 8" tree can easily be 75 years old or older. Extremely heavy hard and useless for woodworking as they are gnarly crooked trees but do have good burls from time to time.

Funny I made a deal with the gardener that worked for the Hotel I worked at when I was in my 20's to pull out a stump.
He said he was too old(older japanese guy) should have said he was too smart.  I spent probably an hour digging to work a chain in and around the stump hooked the chain to my truck and hit the gas only to have it stop in place.  My GF at the time was with me looking mighty fine and a semi driver that just made a delivery stopped to ask her if he could help as I was back to digging.  She asked if we could hook the chain to his truck he gave the ok about a minute after I hooked the chain he let out the clutch a bit and the stump was out.  First time I was happy she was running in short shorts in public
Laugh
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Pulling stump