I've seen a few cabinets with legs wrapped around the corners, like

this, for example.

Has anyone here done legs that way? My guess is that glue, and no hidden joinery, would be strong enough. Even if that is true, I don't see an easy way to hold the legs in place while they are being clamped. A tiny slip of even one of the legs would be a huge pain to deal with, and maybe a re-do.

Maybe a couple of small hidden dowels? 

Beyond the joinery (or lack of joinery), how would you clamp the legs to the case for glue-up? Strap clamps?

Thanks,
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site

I'm guessing you are thinking that the case and the legs are beveled. If I were doing this (and based on other similar furniture I've seen) I would leave the case corner square and make a square notch in the leg.

The bit at the bottom of the inside corner could be glued in. The glue seams wouldn't be noticeable unless you stick your head down under the cabinet.

(12-24-2020, 01:40 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: I'm guessing you are thinking that the case and the legs are beveled. If I were doing this (and based on other similar furniture I've seen) I would leave the case corner square and make a square notch in the leg. Here's a quickie sketch.
[Image: 50754854098_307fda4e49.jpg]

The bit at the bottom of the inside corner could be glued in. The glue seams wouldn't be noticeable unless you stick your head down under the cabinet.

Thanks. I must have not been very clear. What you drew is what I was picturing. Mostly, my concerns are how to keep the leg from slipping out of position during glue-up (maybe a couple of dowels on on side?), and how best to clamp the legs. The square relief inside the leg is not a conern of mine; could easily be done with a router bit and a chisel to square off the rounded corners.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

(12-24-2020, 02:08 PM)Aram Wrote: Thanks. I must have not been very clear. What you drew is what I was picturing. Mostly, my concerns are how to keep the leg from slipping out of position during glue-up (maybe a couple of dowels on on side?), and how best to clamp the legs. The square relief inside the leg is not a conern of mine; could easily be done with a router bit and a chisel to square off the rounded corners.

You could certainly add some dowels for registration but I don't think clamping the legs should be any problem. You'd just need some long clamps or you could use a long strip of inner tube rubber.
Two or three ratcheting hold down straps should work quite well. The stop at the bottom of the groove should register the legs well. You might leave just an inch or so excess length at the bottom just in case you end up needing to refine them after the glue dries.

Thanks all, seems reasonable! Thanks for the input.
Best,
Aram, always learning

Because that’s long grain to long grain, I’d be inclined to put a few screws in from the inside of the carcass. I’d make a typical vertical carcass, dovetailed together, then add the legs with glue and screws.

I think you need some way to react the bending moment caused by the piece being pushed sideways other than glue in flatwise tension.

(12-24-2020, 06:34 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: Because that’s long grain to long grain, I’d be inclined to put a few screws in from the inside of the carcass. I’d make a typical vertical carcass, dovetailed together, then add the legs with glue and screws.

I think you need some way to react the bending moment caused by the piece being pushed sideways other than glue in flatwise tension.

Thanks, Adam, good thought and makes a lot of sense.
Best,
Aram, always learning

Judging from the web pictures (as best as I could make of them), brads (used more like clamps for the glue to set), if any fasteners were employed at all, would look more probable. But band clamps alone should be good enough, if you ask me. It'd be a pretty straightforward glue up as long as the corners and notches were cut square.

Simon
If you are unhappy with just clamping, consider some 23 ga pins from the inside - Norm style
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
How would legs like this be joined?