I've had the big Porter Cable 7518 router in a Woodpecker lift for more years than I care to remember - 10+.  I've run a lot of raised panels over the thing running at low speed.   A little over a year ago, I noticed it bogging down badly when raising a panel, sometimes to the point of stalling.   Took lighter cuts than usual and got past it.  I decided to replace the brushes since it was old and well used for a hobby shop.   The old brushes didn't look that worn and the armature looked good as well.  New brushes made it better, but not back to what I recall it being when newer.   Fast forward to today and it was bogging down/stalling annoyingly often - several times on a panel.   Instead of completing a panel with 3 passes, it was now taking 6 or 7 lighter cuts to keep it from stalling.  Turning off and right back on would restart it.  Letting it sit for a bit after a stall seemed to help it run a little longer - heat dissipation?

I'm wondering what the collective thoughts are - is the 7518 repairable or is it time to put it out to pasture?  Any suggestions what I should look at?   It seems to still run ok at high speed (22,000 rpm) with smaller bits - rails/styles, moldings, etc. The issue seems to be with the big panel bit at 10k rpm.

The Milwaukee 5625 seems well liked and will fit my Woodpecker lift but the 5625 made in China now - not sure if that impacts the quality or not?   The Bora Portamate motor is about $120 less than the Milwaukee, but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with that motor yet?

Everything seems to be on back order right now.....

Thanks!
Dave
MKM - Master Kindling Maker

I am in the well liked camp for the 5625, having had the motor in my Woodpecker Sidewinder for many years, and bolted directly to the table before that. Having said that, your symptoms fit the many weird things that can happen when the electronic speed controller starts failing. Had something similar in a Dewalt router. The speed controller for that one was fairly cheap for what it was, and was easy to replace. Don't know if either of those things are true on the PC, but it might be an alternative to buying a new router.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
(12-27-2020, 10:27 PM)Bit_Fiddler Wrote: I've had the big Porter Cable 7518 router in a Woodpecker lift for more years than I care to remember - 10+.  I've run a lot of raised panels over the thing running at low speed.   A little over a year ago, I noticed it bogging down badly when raising a panel, sometimes to the point of stalling.   Took lighter cuts than usual and got past it.  I decided to replace the brushes since it was old and well used for a hobby shop.   The old brushes didn't look that worn and the armature looked good as well.  New brushes made it better, but not back to what I recall it being when newer.   Fast forward to today and it was bogging down/stalling annoyingly often - several times on a panel.   Instead of completing a panel with 3 passes, it was now taking 6 or 7 lighter cuts to keep it from stalling.  Turning off and right back on would restart it.  Letting it sit for a bit after a stall seemed to help it run a little longer - heat dissipation?

I'm wondering what the collective thoughts are - is the 7518 repairable or is it time to put it out to pasture?  Any suggestions what I should look at?   It seems to still run ok at high speed (22,000 rpm) with smaller bits - rails/styles, moldings, etc. The issue seems to be with the big panel bit at 10k rpm.

The Milwaukee 5625 seems well liked and will fit my Woodpecker lift but the 5625 made in China now - not sure if that impacts the quality or not?   The Bora Portamate motor is about $120 less than the Milwaukee, but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with that motor yet?

Thanks!
Dave

I had two of those in two tables several years back.  One of them did exactly what you describe right out of the box.  Swapped it and the new one didn't have a problem... but as best I can recall, those two (3) routers are the last Porter Cable I've purchased.
I have the 5625 in a Woodpecker lift (PRL version 1), and it replaced a 7518 I had bought (this was probably 10 years ago) when i got the lift (used). I like the 5625 much better, but mine is a North American model...and I'm not sure how the quality has changed with the Asian units. Anyway, if you're 7518 is one of the good ones and you can figure out a way to get it repaired...seems to me it would be worth doing so. I wouldn't replace it with another PC router though. But I'm not sure it will just bolt into that Woodpecker lift, I had to buy a replacement clamp when I changed mine out, and they may (or may not) be available if the lift is the older one.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(12-27-2020, 10:27 PM)Bit_Fiddler Wrote: I've had the big Porter Cable 7518 router in a Woodpecker lift for more years than I care to remember - 10+.  I've run a lot of raised panels over the thing running at low speed.   A little over a year ago, I noticed it bogging down badly when raising a panel, sometimes to the point of stalling.   Took lighter cuts than usual and got past it.  I decided to replace the brushes since it was old and well used for a hobby shop.   The old brushes didn't look that worn and the armature looked good as well.  New brushes made it better, but not back to what I recall it being when newer.   Fast forward to today and it was bogging down/stalling annoyingly often - several times on a panel.   Instead of completing a panel with 3 passes, it was now taking 6 or 7 lighter cuts to keep it from stalling.  Turning off and right back on would restart it.  Letting it sit for a bit after a stall seemed to help it run a little longer - heat dissipation?

Thanks!
Dave

I posted recently about an issue with my Milwaukee 5626 (5625 with Jessen external speed control) which I wound up repairing myself for < $15. I was going to bring it to a repair facility but Covid restrictions kept me from getting there, so I decided to take a look inside. The repair was simple.

While it could be anything with your router, I would open it up and take a look around inside. Since it has been in use a long time, I'd take a look at the brushes and commutator for wear. Brushes are usually easy to replace. Sometimes the commutator needs a little cleaning.

If you do need to replace the router the Milwaukee 5625 would be a good choice. Mine is also in a Woodpecker lift.

Good Luck!

--
See ya later,
Bill

(12-28-2020, 07:22 AM)Bill_de Wrote: I posted recently about an issue with my Milwaukee 5626 (5625 with Jessen external speed control) which I wound up repairing myself for < $15. I was going to bring it to a repair facility but Covid restrictions kept me from getting there, so I decided to take a look inside. The repair was simple.

While it could be anything with your router, I would open it up and take a look around inside. Since it has been in use a long time, I'd take a look at the brushes and commutator for wear. Brushes are usually easy to replace. Sometimes the commutator needs a little cleaning.

If you do need to replace the router the Milwaukee 5625 would be a good choice. Mine is also in a Woodpecker lift.

Good Luck!

--

A shot of compressed air into the control area fixed me up with that problem a few times.
My PC 7518 router would not change speed no matter what I did. I blew the router out with a compressor real well and seemed to fix the problem.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
I blew it out tonight until I couldn't get any more dust out... there was a fair amount of dust, but not surprising. It did not seem to make any difference. I will try to open it up tomorrow to look at the brushes & comutator tomorrow but I suspect the brushes will be ok since they were replaced last year. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
A little late to the party on this one, but hasn't there been a thread on this problem before? IIRC it identified a board in the 7518 as the culprit. Replace the board and problem solved.

Anyone else remember this?

Doug

P.S. A quick search on the internet came up with this.

(12-29-2020, 11:14 AM)Tapper Wrote: A little late to the party on this one, but hasn't there been a thread on this problem before? IIRC it identified a board in the 7518 as the culprit. Replace the board and problem solved.

Anyone else remember this?

Doug

P.S. A quick search on the internet came up with this.

Video on rplacing the board.

Router Repair - Replacing the Speed Control (Porter Cable Part # 875087) - YouTube

--
See ya later,
Bill
PC 7518 woes - fix or replace with Milwaukee or Bora Portamate?