I haven't had to buy a new woodworking tool in years. My pair of Bosch 5" ROSs have finally given up the ghost. I still have a good inventory of 8 hole 5" disks that I'd like to use, so just going with 5" seems fine.

Unless someone finds a good reason to buy differently, I'm probably going back with Bosch. The ROS20VSC seems to be the current model. I do use dust collection and my existing hose adapters will work. I generally cut the cords down to 12" as well as I have a power cord permanently siamesed with my dust collector hose.

What does the woodnet brain trust suggest?
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry

(01-04-2021, 03:11 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: I haven't had to buy a new woodworking tool in years.  My pair of Bosch 5" ROSs have finally given up the ghost.  I still have a good inventory of 8 hole 5" disks that I'd like to use, so just going with 5" seems fine.

Unless someone finds a good reason to buy differently, I'm probably going back with Bosch.  The ROS20VSC seems to be the current model.  I do use dust collection and my existing hose adapters will work.  I generally cut the cords down to 12" as well as I have a power cord permanently siamesed with my dust collector hose.  

Stick with the Bosch.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(01-04-2021, 03:11 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: I haven't had to buy a new woodworking tool in years.  My pair of Bosch 5" ROSs have finally given up the ghost.  I still have a good inventory of 8 hole 5" disks that I'd like to use, so just going with 5" seems fine.

Unless someone finds a good reason to buy differently, I'm probably going back with Bosch.  The ROS20VSC seems to be the current model.  I do use dust collection and my existing hose adapters will work.  I generally cut the cords down to 12" as well as I have a power cord permanently siamesed with my dust collector hose.  

i absolutely LOVE my dewalt 20v cordless 5" ROS.   It shocked me how good it performs.  I've sanded for an hour and not used a whole battery.  Not having the cord in the way and leaving black marks on my woodwork is great.  

I had two other Bosch corded ROS's.  I've given one away and the other never leaves the drawer.
WoodNET... the new safespace
You might try a cordless ROS. There's no cord to get in your way. And, as near as I can tell my DeWalt 20v has about the same amount of power as my corded Porter Cable. The downside is you need more than one battery. But, in my case, I've moved to almost all Dewalt 20v power tools and have several extra batteries. It's worth a shot.
Bosch or.............<cough> Festool.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-04-2021, 06:00 PM)dg152 Wrote: You might try a cordless ROS.  There's no cord to get in your way.  And, as near as I can tell my DeWalt 20v has about the same amount of power as my corded Porter Cable.  The downside is you need more than one battery.  But, in my case, I've moved to almost all Dewalt 20v power tools and have several extra batteries.  It's worth a shot.
Why do you think that would be helpful to Mike ? 
Confused

He's already said   "I have a power cord permanently siamesed with my dust collector hose. "     

So a battery sander isn't really gonna do anything for him, since he'll have a hose and cord there anyway.  It's also likely he's using a vac with a tool trigger outlet where a DeWalt battery does absolutely no good.  In general, battery sanders are unbalanced top heavy pigs to handle. 

(01-04-2021, 06:28 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Bosch or.............<cough> Festool.

Festool's hole pattern ain't lining up with the bosch hole pattern, and needs the xtra center hole, which Mike's paper doesn't have.

I really like most festool sanders, but in this instance Bosch is the way to go - especially at 25% of the price.  To be certain, the festool ets125 outperforms the bosch in every category except cost. But that cost is steep.  That said, most people that actually use them don't think them overpriced.

(01-04-2021, 10:02 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Why do you think that would be helpful to Mike ? 
Confused

FWIW, I was interested in hearing feedback from people using cordless ROS. So, maybe not applicable to the OP but this place would be very boring if things never veered a little off-topic.

(01-05-2021, 09:40 AM)ajkoontz Wrote: FWIW, I was interested in hearing feedback from people using cordless ROS. So, maybe not applicable to the OP but this place would be very boring if things never veered a little off-topic.

Three recent tools have shocked the heck out of me at how good they perform verses what my expectations were for them.  They are the cordless Jigsaw, cordless ROS and the cordless trim router.

The cordless jigsaw has the same power and not having to chase the cord or have it get hungup while trying to follow a curve is very helpfull.  I have the dewalt version and the mechanical parts are the same as their corded version.

The cordless ROS surprised me at how powerful it was and how long I could sand with it without draining the batteries.  Again, not having a cord was nice and I found its built in dust collection to work better then the ones I had used in the past.

The cordless trim router  surprised me the most.  I never i a million years expected it to spin up the bit like my corded trim router.  After using it for a few weeks I bundled up the old corded router and gave it to my son-in-law.  Again, not having to fight the cord while routing one handed and supporting the work with the other is so nice.

All three of these uses are so much less frustrating by not having to chase and manage cords.  They were a real eye opener.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Bought 2 bosch. Came with the hose adapter too. Didn't do that with the old ones.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Quote:All three of these uses are so much less frustrating by not having to chase and manage cords.  They were a real eye opener.

Sure, but the second one wants to use a vacuum - cordless power become rather a moot point. 

And Mike wants to use a vacuum.  

If he doesn’t have a battery platform for other tools , his expense just went up too.   Two to four times the $49 sander he’s contemplating.
Need new ROS - suggestions?