So I unintentionally deleted my prior thread when trying to delete duplicate posts of pic attachments. Anyway, I got this wood from my neighbors trash and I am trying to find out what it is. Some said mahogany, Luan, and something else I can't remember. Here are the pics I have. The face pic was taken at night so it is not really great at representing the actual color of the wood. Face pic is first. Edge pic is second.

Attached Files Image(s)

Lyptus is what I was suggesting as a possibility.
I can’t get a good closeup pic. But the pores look an awful lot like what shows in your closeup.
It does look very similar from what I can see. Better pics to come.
Another vote for mahogany.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
My guess is also some type of Mahogany - but probably not genuine (i.e., Swietenia). Perahaps African, but more likely (as others have suggested) Philippine (Lauan) or Santos. The attached link provides a pretty good run-down of the Mahogany's or so-called Mahogany's that are out there.

Mahogany Mixups: the Lowdown | The Wood Database (wood-database.com)
In the last picture, are those white spots frass?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.

(01-06-2021, 12:48 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: In the last picture, are those white spots frass?

Not sure.  I'll have to take a closer look.  There isn't any obvious evidence of insect activity.
If you can pick this white stuff out of the face with a scratch awl or small screwdriver, it may be.
I had a bunch of nice boards become outdoor birdhouse material because of boring beetles. Faces/edges looked similar.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(01-05-2021, 08:52 PM)stav Wrote: So I unintentionally deleted my prior thread when trying to delete duplicate posts of pic attachments. Anyway,  I got this wood from my neighbors trash and I am trying to find out what it is. Some said mahogany, Luan, and something else I can't remember.  Here are the pics I have. The face pic was taken at night so it is not really great at representing the actual color of the wood. Face pic is first. Edge pic is second.

My thought is lauan also.   Roly
Wood identification request try 2