Pushed the button on my Jet AFS-1000 air cleaner the other day--zip--nothing at all. No click, buzz or beep. Checked the outlet--its good. Pulled the switch cover off to look as the PC board. There was a little fuse that was obviously blown.

[attachment=32154]

Un soldered it from the board, got the rating (1amp 125 volts) then went to a couple auto parts stores. No luck. Where is Radio Shack anyhow?? Ordered a pack of 20 from Amazoo for $7 delivered. Soldered to the board, reinstalled, plugged it in and POOF. It blew when the plug hit the receptacle.

Obviously there's something else wrong but what? There's tons of info on the web about replacing the capacitor but this one looks fine. The wiring diagram in the manual doesn't offer much troubleshooting help:

[attachment=32155]

Anyone have any experience with the fuse going? Is there a complete wiring diagram somewhere? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks for reading,

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone

A few years ago mine did the same thing. I pushed the start button and zip, zero, nada. Rather than try working on the board I got a new one for about a 100 bucks. Not cheap, but it works. I saved the old one just in case I ever wanted to test for the defective component and replace it.
When my almost 20 year old unit develops problems like this, I think I will just "hot wire" the power cord directly to the motor and use an electric timer when needed. Seems that the electronics board is the weak spot.
(01-09-2021, 07:09 PM)dg152 Wrote: A few years ago mine did the same thing.  I pushed the start button and zip, zero, nada.  Rather than try working on the board I got a new one for about a 100 bucks.  Not cheap, but it works.  I saved the old one just in case I ever wanted to test for the defective component and replace it.

dg,
Thanks. My concern about doing that is there's something else causing the fuse to blow. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how to determine what else is frigged up.

thanks again,  g

(01-09-2021, 10:55 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: When my almost 20 year old unit develops problems like this, I think I will just "hot wire" the power cord directly to the motor and use an electric timer when needed. Seems that the electronics board is the weak spot.

Ray,
Thanks. Do you know if it can be hard wired on low speed? I always run on low due to the noise on med or high.

Thanksagain, g

Shoottmx: Have no idea. I let mine run on high speed as I always wear ear muffs and can't wear the electronic ears (AKA hearing aids) in the shop.

I see router speed controls advertised. Maybe that would work? See:

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite...ntrol.html

(01-10-2021, 01:59 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: Shoottmx: Have no idea. I let mine run on high speed as I always wear ear muffs and can't wear the electronic ears (AKA hearing aids) in the shop.

I see router speed controls advertised. Maybe that would work? See:

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite...ntrol.html

Thanks Ray,

The speed control is a good option. I think I'd prefer that to dropping $100++ on a new board.

g

Lightbulb 
Take a closer look at the blue device next to the fuse.  It looks like a PTC to me.  A PTC will self reset unless it blows which that one looks like it has.  If the PTC tripped and shorted that would explain the fuse blowing.  Now it could all be tied together and the problem is downstream but it might be worth checking.
Dave
"Amateur Putzing in Shop." Northern Wood on Norm 5/07

"Dave's shop is so small you have to go outside to turn around" Big Dave on my old shop
So I built a new shop.  (Picasa went away so did the link to the pictures)
Is it the right motor to use a "router speed control"? If so, I never thought about that, and I have one available that I could put to use.

(01-11-2021, 09:08 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Is it the right motor to use a "router speed control"?  If so, I never thought about that, and I have one available that I could put to use.

All of the router speed controls that I've seen are for brush-type AC motors only.  Not saying there aren't ones that will work with the AC induction motor in your JET air cleaner.  Just that I've never seen one that will.

Mike
Jet air cleaner woes