Gentle-people

I'm at wits end with these builder grade closet doors.  They're simple top rail only sliders.
It seems like I'm putting them back in their tracks 3 or 4 times a year!

Does anyone know of a solution?
I'm open to buying something completely new too, if they'll just stay put!

Thank you!!
“Almost no one is ever insulted into agreement.”

Do you mean sliding barn style doors? They seem to be the new rave. The weight of the door is what keeps the door on the track. If the bottom of the door drags or catches on something it will lift the door enough to derail the roller off the track. If that is the case trim off a small amount of the bottom of the door. The door should have a little clearance off the floor.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(01-09-2021, 11:21 PM)pconroy Wrote: Gentle-people

I'm at wits end with these builder grade closet doors.  They're simple top rail only sliders.

Thank you!!

I had to replace the rails on 2 of our closets.  If they bend just a bit it causes an issue. 

I worked on one house that the rail was only to guide the doors - the doors were hinged - this closet had 4 panels - 2 to the left and 2 to the right.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.

Thank you!!

Bypass doors with hollow core panels?

Style and weight of the suspended pieces makes all the diff...

(01-10-2021, 10:00 AM)WxMan Wrote: Bypass doors with hollow core panels?

Style and weight of the suspended pieces makes all the diff...

Yes!
Those!!!

Frickin' a - every kid's bedroom closet is messed up. 

I was out shopping the 'net and saw some higher grade rails and runners.
I suspect that spending $50, instead of the $15, will make a difference.

thanks!
“Almost no one is ever insulted into agreement.”

I've installed those and frankly hate the idea of folding/sliding closet doors.

The heavier the door the better.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Don’t like‘em and have replaced several.
To answer your question: if the tracks are not secured properly into the header, this can happen.
Have you double checked the track installation?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.

Thank you!!

Had this happen as well. Bought mine from HD, the track was not perfect out of the box. I noticed that there were a few spots where it would jump, got a pair of pliers and cimped them just a fraction and they're stable now.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
I've installed/repaired many. First thing is to mount the top rail at the right height. When the trolleys are adjusted to raise the door near the highest position, the door will hit the bottom of the track before the wheel is high enough to come out of the "J". The trolleys should also be close to the edges of the door; not 6"-8" in like I've found some to be. The bumper that keeps the rear panel finger pull exposed should be just above center on the back of the front panel.  The doors should roll smoothly and quietly, if not it might be time for replacement.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Gould you post a pick of the top track and the guide pin/roller?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

closet doors jumping top rail - wits end