Question 
I'm designing a display case.  The four legs are nearly identical. 

The two rear legs have a groove running the length of the inside face to accept a floating panel. 

The front legs don't have that detail. 

I've been able to create one "stick" then copy it three times.  I've rotated the copies as needed so that the changes to the first reflect on the correct faces of the copies. 

Is there a way to now separate the almost-complete rear legs from the front so I can add the groove to them?
Semper fi,
Brad

What I would do is delete 2 of the legs. Then copy one of them, right click it and select Make Unique. Then copy that. These are your back legs. Now when you groove one of them the other will groove as well but the original pair (the front legs) wont.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
(01-13-2021, 02:28 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I'm designing a display case.  The four legs are nearly identical. 

The two rear legs have a groove running the length of the inside face to accept a floating panel. 

The front legs don't have that detail. 

I've been able to create one "stick" then copy it three times.  I've rotated the copies as needed so that the changes to the first reflect on the correct faces of the copies. 

Is there a way to now separate the almost-complete rear legs from the front so I can add the groove to them?

I'll assume you made a component of the first leg and copied it to the other three locations. Cliff got part of it. Use Make Unique to separate the legs. Before you do that, though, instead of rotating the the copies, use Flip Along to to mirror the legs. If I were modeling this piece I would draw the front left leg at the origin with its front edge on the red axis and its left edge on the solid green axis. I would make that leg a component and then use Move/Copy to make the front right leg. After positioning that copy I would right click on it and choose Flip Along>Component's Red. Next, I would select both front legs and Move/Copy them back in the green direction to make the back legs. While those two components are still selected, right click on one of them and choose Flip Along>Green Direction. At the point you are ready to separate the back legs from the front ones, select both back legs, right click on one of them and choose Make Unique. This will break the connection to the front legs while keeping the back two legs associated. No need to delete anything before using Make Unique.

Don't do the Make Unique step too early. Do everything that is the same for all of the legs first. Only when you get to the point where the legs need to get different treatment do you use Make Unique.
Oh, that's what I did: Make my first one at the Origin, copied 3x, and then flipped along red/green as needed.

Thanks, gents, I'll give this a try!
Semper fi,
Brad

Sketchup question