Just curious what cleaning solutions you guys use to clean the gunk of old machines.  I'm looking for opinions to use on the hardware part which have the grime, oil, grease, sawdust, etc and also on the painted parts to clean up but not take the paint off.  Right now I'm using simple green which works ok but was wondering if you guys have better alternatives.  I've seen alot of people also use tsp.

The automotive detail shop uses a "dry steam" machine.  The machine produces super-heated steam (about 300 degrees F.).  It loosens grease and dirt which wipes away.  No cleaning solution needed.  It works for a variety of applications.

The smaller units are not too expensive.  Industrial grade ones are priced prohibitively. 

The steam is so hot that it dries instantly (thus the name "dry steam".  You can use it to clean modern car engines because there is no residual water to muck up the electronics.

https://youtu.be/Px2anroCpD4
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Having restored several and working on cars, a good de-greaser for the greasy parts. Current favorite brand is b-52 but they all work fairly well. A good scrub brush helps a lot.

Then I have a 1/4 hp motor with a wire wheel and that cleans up dirt, sawdust and rust just fine.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

(01-21-2021, 09:37 PM)Juss1 Wrote: Just curious what cleaning solutions you guys use to clean the gunk of old machines.  I'm looking for opinions to use on the hardware part which have the grime, oil, grease, sawdust, etc and also on the painted parts to clean up but not take the paint off.  Right now I'm using simple green which works ok but was wondering if you guys have better alternatives.  I've seen alot of people also use tsp.

Mineral spirits.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

On bigger machines and parts, I like to start with the pressure sprayer. It cuts cleaning grease and oils and caked on junk down to near nothing.

You do of course want to remove any good bearings first. It's best to clean them with mineral spirits, then a little pressure wash with a water tap hose sprayer to remove any grit, then dry with compressed air, small torch heat or hand drier and then lubed with WD40 until you're ready to install them and grease them. You'll have to remove the seals from sealed bearings, otherwise cleaning them properly may be impossible. If you don't suspect the bearings need servicing or cleaning, just skip this part. But just one little piece of grit can destroy the bearing quickly.

Small greasy and caked parts get a scraper first for thick stuff, the wire brush by hand or a wire wheel on the drill. Different wire wheels on the drill can get tighter spots and curved areas. Also the wire wheel on the grinder for bolts and nuts and shafts and so on.  (This part is best done outside- messy) Or go to a car wash.
If the oils are still somewhat thick in spots- mineral spirits.  Then I'll use plain Dawn detergent and a brush with a hose sprayer at the sink.
Some parts go on the lathe and get wire wheeled or sanded lightly to a good finish.
Some parts that won't be painted need to be oiled to prevent rust, otherwise dry the metal quickly by blowing with air and rags and even warm dry with a hand held hair drier or hobby heater. Acetone will dry parts out fast and also prepare them perfectly for painting.

I'll use the orbital sander to remove old paint and finish - works good most of the time.
Citrus solvent cut the grime off very well. I under stand it is made from oranges, sure smells like oranges. When I worked on ski lifts we bought it by the 55 gal drum and it was out go solvent.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
I use Extreme Simple Green for cleaning such things.

(01-22-2021, 06:37 PM)Rick LoDico Wrote: I use Extreme Simple Green for cleaning such things.
Brake cleaner works well...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Where I work, we use Oil-Flo 141. It works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Safety-Solv...187&sr=8-2
Grant

"GO BUCKEYES"
Super Clean here.
Don
Cleaning solution for restoring Old machines