What size wire to run this welder? Maybe a 20 foot run,.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.

(02-17-2021, 01:08 PM)Grey Mountain Wrote: What size wire to run this welder?  Maybe a 20 foot run,.

GM

Generally speaking, 30A requires 10-gauge copper. Circuit voltage is not a consideration when sourcing wire and cable for anything found in a home.

If the circuit is dedicated to the welder only, with proper 30A receptacle (NEMA 5-30R), and if the welding machine's duty-cycle is less than 100% at full output, then you might be able to use lighter conductors (NEC Article 630).  But for such a short run, and for being on 120V (where voltage drop is more of a problem), I'd just stick with 10-gauge copper.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Thanks. Did a bit of research and found the answer -- 10guage.
I wired my son's detached garage several years ago. Don't remember if I puti in a 100 amp or 200am breaker box. When it comes to electronics, my son is a whiz. When it comes to electricity, he is a prime candidate for fuzzy hair.
He's a thousand miles form me in NE Georgia, so this one I can't do for him.
I will tell him to make it a dedicated circuit just for that welder. I can walk him through the installation process; however, I'm sure there is a youtube or other media that will show him how to do it.
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.

(02-17-2021, 04:22 PM)Grey Mountain Wrote: I will tell him to make it a dedicated circuit just for that welder. 

Yes.  Being a 30A circuit, you can't put 15 or 20A receptacles on it for other uses, so it has to be for the welder alone.  Only a 5-30R receptacle is legal, though you can have more than one of them on that circuit, for convenience.

Couldn't find them in the big box stores online, but Amazon shows them for under $15.  

Eaton 1233 30 Amp 125V 5-30R 2-Pole/3-Wire Flush Mount Power Receptacle, Black - Electric Plugs - Amazon.com

[attachment=33364]
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"

Although this will make TDKPE shudder.  I ran a thirty amp circuit to me detached garage to install a RV plug.  The RV kit came with a breaker in the box so I switched that out with a twenty amp breaker.  The plug for the RV was wired direct to the conductor back to my shop panel where I installed the thirty amp plug.    The twenty amp in the RV panel was used to feed the few outlets and lights in the detached garage.  In effect, The RV box became a new sub panel.   I figure the RV plug would act as a disconnect for the thirty amp load and the breaker for the twenty.

Probably not up to code but safe.
WoodNET... the new safespace

(02-24-2021, 11:07 AM)Splinter Puller Wrote: Although this will make TDKPE shudder.  I ran a thirty amp circuit to me detached garage to install a RV plug.  The RV kit came with a breaker in the box so I switched that out with a twenty amp breaker.  The plug for the RV was wired direct to the conductor back to my shop panel where I installed the thirty amp plug.    The twenty amp in the RV panel was used to feed the few outlets and lights in the detached garage.  In effect, The RV box became a new sub panel.   I figure the RV plug would act as a disconnect for the thirty amp load and the breaker for the twenty.

Probably not up to code but safe.

I suddenly have a headache.
Crazy
<shudder>

Did it just get cold in here?  
Raised

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Tom

What kind of welder are you using?  30 Amps is a LOT for a 110v welder.  You may want to go 220 volt.

EDIT: Looking at the information on the web about welders the ads don's say what size power circuit is needed -- the 30 Amps refers to the output of the welding circuit.  

The Q&A on the Hobart 100 MIG does say it needs a 20 Amp circuit.

I had a 110 wire welder for a little while.  Could only weld thin metal for a few inches at a time because of the short duty cycle.  I moved up to a 220 v MIG on a 20 amp circuit and have run lots of beads with it.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)

(06-06-2021, 09:08 AM)Wild Turkey Wrote:  -- the 30 Amps refers to the output of the welding circuit.

30A output is (maybe) enough to weld the lid back on a can.  Maybe.  That sounds awfully light.  The lowest I ever run my 230A unit is around 100A or so on 3/16" wall tube, but it will run on a 30A 240V circuit for that low output.  It needs a 50A circuit to output full power, even with the short 20% duty-cycle at that output, which I've used with cutting rods loooong ago.
Tom

(06-04-2021, 03:30 AM)MarschallDotters Wrote: For such welding, you need a wire of 20

Spammer, BAM
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
110 volt 30 amp welder