My first post on the latest project in my shop: a Shaker inspired writing desk. Started fitting up some of the joints today: so far, so good.

[attachment=33412]

Following!!!  +17...

(02-19-2021, 05:44 PM)WxMan Wrote: Following!!!  +17...

+18
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
Keep us advised. Me, i'll be living vicariously through your progress, as my bride has required me to Drylok paint my block walls, and install denim insulation soundproofing in the floor joists (she is complaining about the noise) so my shop it totally ripped apart for this project; slow going too as 12" on center and I've got to cut every single piece, and with the denim, with a circular saw.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

(02-20-2021, 11:24 AM)Admiral Wrote: Keep us advised.  Me, i'll be living vicariously through your progress, as my bride has required me to Drylok paint my block walls, and install denim insulation soundproofing in the floor joists (she is complaining about the noise) so my shop it totally ripped apart for this project; slow going too as 12" on center and I've got to cut every single piece, and with the denim, with a circular saw.....

Ha: denim sound insulation: I just came across that recently in my quest to reduce noise in the shop. I will be waiting to see how that product works out for you. Supposed to be as good as rock wool and more friendly to work with.

(02-20-2021, 12:08 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: Ha: denim sound insulation: I just came across that recently in my quest to reduce noise in the shop. I will be waiting to see how that product works out for you. Supposed to be as good as rock wool and more friendly to work with.

Problem is I have 12" on center joists, so I had to buy the metal stud size (25") and cut in half, also not cheap.  Was a surprise to me  that utility knives don't cut it, had to use circular saw and scissors to "rip" and a bread knife and scissors to "cc" to length.  Initially a PITA, but once I got a system down it is going ok. Less messy than rock wool, but still has fine dust during install that requires a mask, but its cotton and not so bad.   Test will be how much the bride complains about noise, I expect it will cut it substantially....

This is what I used, its also very "green" if that matters to you: http://bondedlogic.com/pdf/denim-insulat...ochure.pdf
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Spent a few hours in the shop today practicing stopped dado's. Unicorned the router plane blade: a sharp blade works so much better.

[attachment=33438]

Spent hours working with all kinds of scary and unicorn sharp edges: no problem
Attempted to cut a slice of Italian bread for lunch: a sharp blade doesn't always work much better:

[attachment=33439]
I always enjoy your builds....
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
As you can see, progress has been slow, but I have few new pics, using my my new iphone tripod mount: now I am actually in the shots (for better or worse). I made leg mortises with slot mortiser so I end up having to round the tenons to fit these rounded mortises. An Auriou 11 grain rasp makes quick work of it. Pics of rasping and cleaning up tenons:

[attachment=33601]

[attachment=33602]
Finally got back into the shop today. Sweetening the tenons with a router plane (best tool in the world for this task, IMO):

[attachment=33731]

First dry fit-up of M/T joints at legs/aprons:

[attachment=33732]

Drawer front temp. clamped in place:

[attachment=33733]

On to the front sub-frame and drawer undercarriage.
The Writing Desk: FINISHED!