I am looking to upgrade to a bigger lathe. The Record Power Envoy has caught my eye. Does anybody here have one or know anything about them?

Looking at the tailstock it appears the designer doesn't understand lathes. A very inferior design to resist deflection from lateral loading. Why look at a lathe with unknown track record?
Cellulose runs through my veins!

(02-21-2021, 08:57 PM)SteveS Wrote: Looking at the tailstock it appears the designer doesn't understand lathes. A very inferior design to resist deflection from lateral loading. Why look at a lathe with unknown track record?

The tailstock does look a bit artsy, but it looks sturdy enough that I would not expect a lot of deflection in normal use.

As for why look at a lathe from a company that has been making turning stuff longer than I have been alive, a 110V 16"x24" 3-pulley-step drive with variable speed DC-motor lathe for ~$2k that has cast iron legs and a rotating headstock for larger bowls certainly would get my attention if I was starting out. Using standard 1-1/4"x8 and MT2 sizes is also good.

I see a lot of good features - especially as a relatively high-end starter lathe.

I am not a necessarily a fan of rotating headstocks without planning to use a double-MT2 alignment tool when going back to standard position. I am a fan of sliding headstocks for working on the inside of bowls once the tailstock is not needed. 

It seems to be a fairly new product, so only a handful of reviews. There is a vid review by a turner who won one in a contest on the AAW website.

Other than the low-speed min of 250rpm being fast for letting finishes dry on the lathe while the piece spins, the reviews seem to be positive.

There are a 16" bed extension and a toolrest outrigger available in the UK. I did not notice them available in the US yet.

I was surprised by the discussion in the AAW thread that Jet does not sell in Canada.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(02-21-2021, 08:57 PM)SteveS Wrote: Looking at the tailstock it appears the designer doesn't understand lathes. A very inferior design to resist deflection from lateral loading. Why look at a lathe with unknown track record?

Well, someone doesn't know much about lathes.  Record has been around since the bodgers were kicked out of the woods at High Wycombe.  They have made a LOT of designs.  

"Deflection? "  I suppose someone scraping rather than shaving might put some lateral load on the tailstock, but it's certainly not the best way to turn.  Even a duplicator. which must scrape, keeps the contact area small, and thus loading ditto.  The kids at school used to press so hard they'd dismount a piece with the old Delta, but use of a cup center vs a point cured that while they were learning how to shave. 

As to the OP, I'm a fan of my Nova 3000, which has lower rpm available, and sells close to the same price.  Or, if you are one who thinks being able to vary rpm makes a difference in cutting, the DVR, for an extra 500 bux.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
For $2,000 without shipping & tax might be worth a look! Found two sites online Highland has them in stock and Woodturners expects them soon. Had trouble linking at both sites so just type in record wood lathe in search box.

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com

https://www.turnerswarehouse.com/

Highland also has the 18" version too!
Bill
A good starter lathe is a ONEWAY 24-36 with outboard extension and 3hp motor.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
One of the main things I like is the magnetic controller. I can put it where I need it. With the Nova every time I need to change the speed turning outboard I have to walk around the lathe. Rotating head is better for me because the space the lathe fits in doesn’t have open space on the ends. The Record Power has rotating and sliding head. The outrigger is also available at Highland. The Nova looks like a good lathe but I have read a lot of bad reviews about their customer service. Thanks for all of you replies.
Well I just noticed the speed ranges on the RP are 250-750, 550-1650 and 1300-3800. That is a deal breaker for me. I can see too many belt changes. Does anybody have any experience with Nova DVR? I am also looking at the Nova Saturn.
If it's an import, look at details like tool post. They will be some oddball mm size that makes it hard to get more tool rests unless you take what you have and have a machine shop bore it to 1". Also look at parts and how the mfg has dealt with others that have issues. I almost went with grizzly, till I started looking into details and started finding horror stories about having to get warranty issues resolved.

I'm also not a fan of a rotating head stock. You can get a way beefier head stock for the same price in a sliding style instead.
(02-22-2021, 12:00 PM)charliez Wrote: If it's an import, look at details like tool post.  They will be some oddball mm size that makes it hard to get more tool rests unless you take what you have and have a machine shop bore it to 1".  Also look at parts and how the mfg has dealt with others that have issues.  I almost went with grizzly, till I started looking into details and started finding horror stories about having to get warranty issues resolved.

I'm also not a fan of a rotating head stock.  You can get a way beefier head stock for the same price in a sliding style instead.

The problem for me is room or lack of it. With a sliding headstock I would have to move the lathe every time I want to turn outboard.
Upgrade help