I'm just starting to break down the shop for our move from CA to NC (will mostly be handled by professional movers except some of my special items). I completed the anti-corrosion treatments (used CorrosionX HD) and had a couple questions with the idea everything is likely to live in my garage for up to a year while I build a new shop:

1. Should I remove all tables from machines like drill press, bandsaws, 20" disc sander? Assume yes so nobody can lift by them, but thought I'd check.

2. Should the cast iron surfaces be covered in anything more than the corrosion inhibitor (magnetic sign material, masonite, etc.) - question is whether it matters?

3. What sort of paper would you use for wrapping planes? I recall there's a rust inhibiting paper, but don't know whether that's necessary.

Appreciate any input from those who have done this before - this is my first.

Thanks,
John

(03-01-2021, 09:58 AM)jcredding Wrote: I'm just starting to break down the shop for our move from CA to NC (will mostly be handled by professional movers except some of my special items).  I completed the anti-corrosion treatments (used CorrosionX HD) and had a couple questions with the idea everything is likely to live in my garage for up to a year while I build a new shop:

1.  Should I remove all tables from machines like drill press, bandsaws, 20" disc sander?  Assume yes so nobody can lift by them, but thought I'd check.

2.  Should the cast iron surfaces be covered in anything more than the corrosion inhibitor (magnetic sign material, masonite, etc.) - question is whether it matters?

3.  What sort of paper would you use for wrapping planes?  I recall there's a rust inhibiting paper, but don't know whether that's necessary.

Appreciate any input from those who have done this before - this is my first.

Thanks,
John

Welcome to NC....what part you going to?

I don't know much about preventing rust on the way...but I will say you DO NEED rust prevention plan for the south. Machine I use use paste wax, oil etc. Planes get the same.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
Thanks Scott. We're heading to Charlotte and bought a house there a couple weeks ago (closing end of March)
Good luck with the move.  No clue whether or not it's a good idea to take the tables off your stationary machines. But if you do I'd be sure to pack them in well padded boxes.  As for your hand planes, it seems to me that if you pack them in sealed plastic bags with a dessicant pack they would be safe from any moisture getting it.  Look up dessicant packs on Amazon if unfamiliar.  

John

(03-01-2021, 10:34 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Good luck with the move.  No clue whether or not it's a good idea to take the tables off your stationary machines. But if you do I'd be sure to pack them in well padded boxes.  As for your hand planes, it seems to me that if you pack them in sealed plastic bags with a dessicant pack they would be safe from any moisture getting it.  Look up dessicant packs on Amazon if unfamiliar.  

John

I am not sure that I would try to remove the table from the drill press. TS, BS, floor-standing sanders, and the like - yes.

I have had issues with hand planes coming in through the mail where they left the seller fully assembled and arrived here with the blade sliding around in the package and seeing what it could cut, scrape, or gouge. Some that left the seller with the blade and frog removed arrived here with the tote unable to be tightened back up enough to eliminate wobble.

Packing the hand planes in plastic bags with dessicants is a good start for rust prevention, but they still need to be packed well. After the experiences with USPS, I am not sure what "packed well" really means. <sigh>
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Great idea, John, and I purchased a bag of 250 desicant packs from Aamzon that were delivered yesterday.
Cool..we are in one of the counties beside Mecklenburg...Cabarrus. 

BTW Woodcraft is on East Independence Blvd in Matthews. 
Yes
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
I removed the wings from my TS, and the table from my BS. The movers can package those separately, but MAKE SURE they are labeled so you don't end up searching everywhere. Package the fasteners in a zip lock bag and label the bag so you don't lose the fasteners. Place the hardware somewhere you can find it easily as well. I duct taped my TS hardware zip lock inside the cabinet of the saw. Two moves ago, I didn't remove the table from my BS, and something hit it along the way and broke the trunnion, which was fortunately relatively cheap ($30) to replace.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I moved from Florida to Colorado, with my stuff sitting in storage for a month, and paste wax served my cast iron fine. But Colorado is low humidity. Any vapor barrier will probably do the trick, be it VCI paper, cosmoline, or even a liberal coating of WD40. But of all of them, Boeshield sticks around and doesn't stain. I'd pick up a can, give everything a liberal coating, wrap it in pallet wrap, and call it a day.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
I removed table saw wings, but not the main table.  I think the realignment issues will outweigh any potential benefit gained.

I did remove the table from my Delta 14" bandsaw and the drill press.  Those tables are small enough that they're easily handled and reinstalled.
Another Cross Country Move Question - Covering Surfaces