I have about 12" of space above my kitchen upper cabinets and the ceiling.  I was thinking of adding cabinets over the uppers to fill in that space.

Has anyone done this?

Most easily I can just add a piece of plywood over the existing cabinets and then add a face frame and doors.  Or I can build new cabinets with doors, or add face frames and strip lights and make it open shelving. 

Any thoughts?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.

Why?  Anything you put up there will be lost forever.  You, and me, aren't getting any younger.  Do you really see yourself going up there to look for something?  

John
I would not bother. If you do. check the existing cabinets mounting points if you plan on using them to support the extra weight.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I am refacing the cabinets.  They are 1990s golden oak.  I will be making new shaker doors and all the uppers will be white. 

However, the open space looks distinctly 1990s.  If you look at modern installations they seem all to go to the ceiling.

[Image: shaker-antique-white-shaker.webp]
I just remodeled our kitchen and added upper cabinets to add space. WE store stuff that we seldom use and extra groceries when we make a big store run.  I haven't regretted it.
[Image: vXjblj5l.jpg]
[Image: nMDWNVVl.jpg]
[Image: k0v98Z0l.jpg]
[Image: eZSEkZKl.jpg]
[Image: 1RaZbpPl.jpg]
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"

(03-01-2021, 11:50 AM)CARYinWA Wrote: I just remodeled our kitchen and added upper cabinets to add space. WE store stuff that we seldom use and extra groceries when we make a big store run.  I haven't regretted it.
[Image: vXjblj5l.jpg]
[Image: nMDWNVVl.jpg]
[Image: k0v98Z0l.jpg]
[Image: eZSEkZKl.jpg]
[Image: 1RaZbpPl.jpg]
Did you attach those additional uppers to the wall?  Or did you just attach them to the cabinets below?  I think that is probably what I will add to mine.  I think it looks great.  I'm making new doors and will use new soft close hinges with a 1-1/4" overlay in place of the half inch overlay.  That will hide more of the face frame and give it a more modern vibe.   I am undecided on how to handle the refinishing of the face frames.

I could just paint them, but the oak grain will telegraph through.  I could use grain filler and minimize the grain.  But that is a lot of work.  It might be easier to just add birch iron-on verneer and then paint.  

I have not decided yet.

I secured the upper  cabinets to the wall and the lower cabinets
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
The home builder I worked for back in the 70's custom built his cabinets the uppers were built to go to the ceiling.  He said why waste that much space when you can use it for storage of items that you only use 1 or 2 times a year
I would. You could just extend your face frames to the ceiling, making openings for upper doors.
Install glass in those upper doors and add light. Show off your fancy, unused dishes up there.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Did it at my old house - 9' ceilings.  My wife would stand on the counter to reach the stuff.  Storage for one time a year stuff.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
adding cabinet space over existing wall cabinets