We want to do a ceiling with knotty pine tongue and groove but have it finished with a white stain, or pickling. 

My concern is will the knots bleed thru? I know for painting it I would seal it with a shellac primer.  Do I need to shellac the whole board, them paint with a thinned white paint?

Options?

Thanks

(03-05-2021, 02:53 AM)goaliedad Wrote: We want to do a ceiling with knotty pine tongue and groove but have it finished with a white stain, or pickling. 

My concern is will the knots bleed thru? I know for painting it I would seal it with a shellac primer.  Do I need to shellac the whole board, them paint with a thinned white paint?

Options?

Thanks

No experience, but I think you will have to seal the whole board in order to get a uniform result when you apply the white stain.  A couple of samples should tell you which way to go.  

John
You are right, if I seal any of the board I need to seal all of it.
When I do my samples how soon will I know if the knots are going to bleed thru? Will they darken with time? Or will they show thru and stay at that level?

I did this on my back covered deck ceiling.  I tried using a Sherwin Williams white stain to be able to see the grain, but the knots kept bleeding through.

I ended up sanding the knots and using  SW stain blocking primer and painting white instead.  Looks great for the past 2 years.
Thanks for sharing. I was afraid that was the case. I will seal the board and then used watered down paint

White stain on knotty pine?