It has been awhile since I used my rail and stile router bits so I looked up the instructions. They say to use the sale bit around the inside of all the pieces first then use the rail bit on the ends of the rails. Why wouldn't you do the rail ends first? If you do them last you can back up one side with a flat backer but the other side you need to make the mating joint to backup the profile. Doing them first you would only need to backup flat surfaces when routing. Is there some other reason to do the stile first?

(03-05-2021, 06:36 PM)CEPenworks Wrote: It has been awhile since I used my rail and stile router bits so I looked up the instructions. They say to use the sale bit around the inside of all the pieces first then use the rail bit on the ends of the rails. Why wouldn't you do the rail ends first? If you do them last you can back up one side with a flat backer but the other side you need to make the mating joint to backup the profile. Doing them first you would only need to backup flat surfaces when routing. Is there some other reason to do the stile first?

First off, I use a shaper to cut mine.  I do make the inside cuts first and I make a couple of filler pieces, one with the profile of the end cut and the other is just a blank.  I use them to do the cuts (using a miter gauge and fence) and the pieces butt up against the piece I'm cutting to prevent tearout with the respective filler on the exit side of the cut.  If you want to cut the ends without a backer you sure can.  I'd leave them a little wide and trim them down after making the end cuts to clean out any tearout you have.
My 2 cents.
I always do the cope end cuts first for tear out reasons.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"

(03-05-2021, 09:23 PM)CARYinWA Wrote: I always do the cope end cuts first for tear out reasons.

+1
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-05-2021, 09:23 PM)CARYinWA Wrote: I always do the cope end cuts first for tear out reasons.
Same here.

I don't know why they would say do it that way. You can make a backer block out of the same bit, but why bother?

BTW they are called coping (rail ends) and profile bits.
Like Cary, I do the cope cuts first...seems to work just as well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I did the rail ends first and all went well.
I've done both but prefer to do the stiles first. That's just my preference, both ways gets the job done. Several test pieces.
Jim
rail and Stile router bits