Any recommendations for replacement windows?
Any we should avoid? Location South Dakota.  Thanks Bill

I'm a huge fan of the Andersen Renewal windows. They aren't vinyl.. Maybe fiberglass? Much more durable than any vinyl product I've seen. IMHO, they are as durable as any new construction window. But they're spendy compared to vinyl windows. Certainteed makes a "decent" vinyl window but they can be very difficult to deal with for warranty issues, Same with Pella. Lousy customer service. Castle makes a "decent" vinyl window and I hear they are not too bad to deal with. But Andersen makes a great replacement window. I'm not even a huge Andersen fan but they do make a nice replacement and their customer service has always been good.

All vinyl windows have a lifetime warranty. Most vinyl windows shut down and re-open under another name when the warranty claims start coming in. So, try to get an idea how long the company has really been in business. You can search the business name in their municipality to find out when they were incorporated.

I look at a lot of windows almost every day. I don't see a lot of old vinyl windows without problems... stripped screws, failed thermal seals, failed spiral balance, deformed frames and sashes, windows that have deformed so much that they don't latch, detached cranks on casement windows because of screws stripped out from the vinyl, (same with double hung latches), weather stripping fallen out etc. Some of these things are replaceable but you might have to search sites of vinyl window parts suppliers. Most vinyl companies use generic parts and it's rare that the manufacturer puts their name on the window... making it harder to find parts and file warranty claims.

There are a lot of different grades of vinyl, some good, some crappy. If it has a shine to it, it's probably a good vinyl. Soft vinyl doesn't shine. Another thing to look for is the distance between the panes. The cheap ones don't have much of a gap, the good ones have a bigger gap. The bigger the gap, the stronger the window and it has better insulation properties. South Dakota... You'll want a big gap between panes, maybe even triple pane if they still make them. And you'll want argon gas between the panes. Low E is nice too of UV protection. Food for thought.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

If you are going to do the work, I suggest you look into replacement sash.  I had replacement windows put in a prior house - you take out the old sash, and install the whole assembly into that opening. While it works okay, you end up with a smaller amount of glass, and so the rooms were a little darker , and the sash and the frame is usually vinyl . 

For my current house,  I bought replacement sash kits from Marvin.   I took out the old double hung windows and the aluminum channels that they ran in.  The kit included 2 vinyl channels that you install on either side of the opening, then you insert the replacement sash that hook into the vinyl channels.  The sash were wood sash, with vinyl overlay on the outside, and are still going strong.  In some ways it is easier than installing replacement windows and it went pretty quickly after I did the first couple, and it is nice to have real wood on the inside.   I put mine in many years ago,  though it looks like Marvin still offers them as Ultimate Double Hung Tilt Pac  or Ultimate Double Hung Wood Pac.    With either option, you will want to measure the existing openings pretty carefully.
Loml's house has replacment windows from one of those companies that literally sell door to door.....they are crap. Don't slide open/close well, some won't stay open, air comes thru in the winter like its open

If it's your forever home, make the mess and put in new build windows.

Ed
Replaced windows 3 years ago. Had Replacement by Anderson down for estimate and nearly fell on the floor. They sell a window that is scraps of wood mixed with glues and adhesives and is not wood at all so do not let them sell you a wood product line. Marvin was another high dollar window. I went with Sunrise Restoration line of window replacement and they are replacement sash windows  but come as a unit and have tracks and all attached. Easy installation. The frames are smaller or thinner than most vinyl windows so no loss of window glass that is noticable. I got the triple glass windows here in the NJ. Easy to open close and clean. Lifetime warrenty. Windows are registered with company. Come in various colors or woodgrain. I absolutely love these windows and are well sealed and the installers were neat and worked with precision. Anderson windows were $15,000 more than these windows. The Patio door and front bow window were new installed with the same glass and are beautiful. Operation is smooth and easy. They have been around a long time and are going nowhere. Check them out and do a comparison chart thing.
John T.
We had our windows replaced last year, went with Anderson full replacements, the existing windows had sash packs installed about 30 yrs ago and they were shot, hard to open huge gaps. My neighbor a carpenter did the work, replaced outside and inside trim, I had to paint the inside trim, no biggie, 11 windows involved all double-hung, with one being a 3 unit picture unit, the final cost was $12,000, well worth the cost as the house is quieter and warmer.
Im sure these are the same people that have said they got no problem eating cats and dogs but shreek like little girls at the sight of an octopus.jonzz 12/17/13
Silverline is o.k.. They have a few grades and stand behind their products. I put their "new construction" vbersion in my own house. Anderson couldn't compete so they bought the company. The same (base model) is now sold in box stores under "American Craftsman".
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"

(03-21-2021, 09:21 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: Silverline is o.k.. They have a few grades and stand behind their products. I put their "new construction" vbersion in my own house. Anderson couldn't compete so they bought the company. The same (base model) is now sold in box stores under "American Craftsman".

I understood that HD bought American Craftsman about 20 years ago.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

We went through Home Depot (never again!) but the windows and the installers were great.

They are Simonton. Our electric bill has dropped 20%.
We replaced all of our windows in 2014 with Marvin Infinity brand.  We did a lot of shopping and comparisons before deciding.  

These are excellent windows and we have been very happy with them.  They are all fiberglass which means the entire window expands and contracts uniformly vs. wood sashed windows.  That bodes well for the life of the seals between the glass panes.  They look great though, much better than vinyl IMHO.  A high-end look.  Much more window surface, and the installation was fast since they did not have to remove the interior trim.  We did this at the same time as we re-sided the house with hardi-plank so that made for a great result.  Could not have been happier.  

The only con was the screens which are a bit flimsy, but only one has failed since and they simply replaced it.  We used a combination of double hung and casement windows.  Both remain easy to open and close after 7 years.  They look as good as the day we installed them.  Very easy to clean with the flip in feature of the double hung and the accessibility of the casements when fully opened. No climbing needed.  All can be cleaned from inside easily.  

Good luck and definitely get multiple bids and check references for your installer.  Find other homes they have done and drive by.
sleepy hollow

Replacement windows