I need to cut a bunch of disks.  The catch is I don't want a center hole that I have to patch.

I need to batch these out faster than trying to cut them on the bandsaw and sanding them into a decent looking circle.

I thought of a template and router, but the disks are only 3" in diameter and I don't like my fingers that close to the bit.

Thoughts?
Signature

(04-02-2021, 07:03 AM)Zack Butler Wrote: I need to cut a bunch of disks.  The catch is I don't want a center hole that I have to patch.

I need to batch these out faster than trying to cut them on the bandsaw and sanding them into a decent looking circle.

I thought of a template and router, but the disks are only 3" in diameter and I don't like my fingers that close to the bit.

Thoughts?

Turn a long 3" dia rod, slice disks on the band saw and run through a thickness sander.
Not sure how clean your disk edges need to be but here is one idea...

Get 3" hole saw that has a mandrel that can be used without a drill bit. Cut a hole in scrap and use the scrap as a guide for the hole saw.
(04-02-2021, 07:03 AM)Zack Butler Wrote: I need to cut a bunch of disks.  The catch is I don't want a center hole that I have to patch.

Thoughts?

Own a drill press?  Clamping the origin piece and slowly hole sawing  without the bit worked for me. Lots of waste, though. The bit is to keep things from skating as the sawing begins.  Clamp and press do well without it.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I have a CNC. That’s what Id use. I also have a lathe so my second option would be to turn a dowel then slice on a miter saw. To make sure it doesn’t spin, leave part of the blank unturned so it can be clamped down.
VH07V  

Thoughts?

Could you use a palm router and trammel?
Was not aware of the hike saw without the center bit.

I don't have a CnC, but I like the idea.

I don't have a lathe, but I bet I can find a 3" dowel.

Thanks guys.

Another thought I had was cutting an oversized circle that I could use as a pattern for the router, but the router would follow the inside of the pattern and cut a smaller circle from the workpiece below. But I'm afraid this weekend trap the cutoff.
Signature

(04-02-2021, 05:35 PM)Zack Butler Wrote: Was not aware of the hike saw without the center bit.

I don't have a CnC, but I like the idea.

I don't have a lathe, but I bet I can find a 3" dowel.

Thanks guys.

Another thought I had was cutting an oversized circle that I could use as a pattern for the router, but the router would follow the inside of the pattern and cut a smaller circle from the workpiece below. But I'm afraid this weekend trap the cutoff.
 The drill bit in most hole saws is removable.      With the drill bit in place drill a 3" hole thru a scrap board, then remove the drill bit and use the drilled board as a guide for the hole saw, this is what joe was saying.  Clamp the scrap board to the board you are cutting and it will be guided by the hole.   Roly
My hole saw the bit is what attaches to the drill.
Signature
Zack, you can get hole saws where the hole saw screws onto the shank, but no drill bit attached. Not near my shop today, so can’t show a photo.
Cutting wooden disks