Well...the job started out simple enough...... just scrape and paint the trim around the door.  Did that, but when I stained the side of the brickmold, we noticed how faded the front of the house was.   
So, over the past 2 weekends I re-stained the front of our house (you can see that I've completed the bottom and a portion of the top).  You can also see how the stain faded by comparing the outline of the shutters.   I don't mind painting, it is easy work and as long as you have a radio out there, I'm a happy camper.

We thought we could get away with just doing the front, but the garage side gets a lot of sun and as you can see, it looks a different color than the front now.

My dilemma is this:  How can I get to that peak over the family room?   In my drawing with the colors you can see the white ladder.  I can reach probably reach 4 ft up the peak tot he right of the ladder.  See the black arrow?  That's how much of the trim I could reach a few years ago, so I need to run it up to the peak this time.

I can lay a section of the extension ladder on the roof and secure it over the peak of the family room, so I should be able to reach the majority of that roof, but not all of it.

I was thinking of building the red triangle with wide feet, set it a few feet out from the roof and leaning the step ladder on it to reach the rest (illustrated by the yellow line advancing up towards the peak), but that seems a little risky to me.

Sure, I could pay someone but I'm cheap and that way doesn't involve building anything  :
Smile  So, how would you reach and paint that peak?
Dumber than I appear

I rented (actually had free use of) a boomlift to install siding on the high area of my house...not necessarily the cheapest route, but safe, and fun...
I considered pump jacks and plank, but the safety aspect had me a bit concerned...

(04-02-2021, 08:25 AM)brianwelch Wrote: I rented (actually had free use of) a boomlift to install siding on the high area of my house...not necessarily the cheapest route, but safe, and fun...
I considered pump jacks and plank, but the safety aspect had me a bit concerned...

Brian?  You know after I posted I had the same thought  (in fact the opposite side of the house has the peak(without the family room) and my extension ladder can't reach it, so the boom lift might be the way to go.  Thanks!!!
Dumber than I appear

(04-02-2021, 08:33 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Brian?  You know after I posted I had the same thought  (in fact the opposite side of the house has the peak(without the family room) and my extension ladder can't reach it, so the boom lift might be the way to go.  Thanks!!!

Will also give you better access to check out the chimney flue condition...
(04-02-2021, 08:25 AM)brianwelch Wrote: I rented (actually had free use of) a boomlift to install siding on the high area of my house...not necessarily the cheapest route, but safe, and fun...

I second the use of the lift. I just painted my house and had some high places. I rented a man lift. The cost was $300 per day or $750 per week. I rented it for a week.

I looked at it like this. Sure it was $850 including insurance and taxes but I was able to do a much better job on the high places because I wasn’t worrying about falling. I’m sure I did a much better job than what a “professional” would have done.

The cost to pay someone to paint my house would have been around 10k so I looked at the cost of the lift as a tool to save me money. Also, it’s not worth trying to rig something up and take the chance of falling. I am 62 and a fall from one of those high places can mess you up bad or even kill you. Not worth the risk.
An extension ladder with a ladder jack and plank long enough to sit on the ridge.  Then you can use an 8 ft step ladder on the plank with step ladder leaned against the house. You should be able to reach the peak.

A boom lift would certainly be safer but also cost about $450 to rent for a day with delivery.  Still saves you money by DIY the painting and far cheaper than out of pocket maximum on your health insurance if you land in the hospital all broken up.

(04-02-2021, 08:58 AM)WoodworkerTom Wrote: An extension ladder with a ladder jack and plank long enough to sit on the ridge.  Then you can use an 8 ft step ladder on the plank with step ladder leaned against the house. You should be able to reach the peak.

A boom lift would certainly be safer but also cost about $450 to rent for a day with delivery.  Still saves you money by DIY the painting and far cheaper than out of pocket maximum on your health insurance if you land in the hospital all broken up.

WWTom-

True- that's another option.  Yes, I looked into the boom lift rentals...for 2 days it would be about $650ish, but I can also do the opposite side while it's here.  

And that should save me a trip to the ER 
Sad
Dumber than I appear
With a checkbook.....

(04-02-2021, 09:14 AM)vernonator Wrote: With a checkbook.....

Vern?

Where's the fun in that???!!!????

A somewhat famous man once said "Every once in a while risk is good for a man."

Bonus points if you can name the man.   Here's a hint:  He was alone....
Dumber than I appear
Look:

https://www.google.com/search?q=scaffold...tj3LEDcwAM
How would you reach the peak of our house to paint it