Hey,

I've been helping my dad fix up an old Craftsman 113 table saw and we'd like to upgrade the miter gauge from the original. The problem is, the miter slot is much closer to the blade than on other saws, it seems. It's 3" from the center of the slot to the edge of the blade, so the head of a miter gauge world have to be less than 6" wide.

My incra is too wide and would hit the blade. Anyone have a Kreg they could measure for me (haven't found dimensions online)? Or other narrow-headed recommendations?

The miter slot is a standard 3/4" x 3/8".

A shop-made sled a possibility for later, but I would like to get him going with a decent gauge for now.

Thanks,
Tyler

My Kreg measures 5 7/8"
humanrace Wrote:My Kreg measures 5 7/8"

Thanks, that's helpful to know. That should technically fit for 90 degree cuts, but likely won't have room for other angles like a 45.

Tyler
(04-05-2021, 11:55 PM)OneStaple Wrote: Hey,

I've been helping my dad fix up an old Craftsman 113 table saw and we'd like to upgrade the miter gauge from the original. The problem is, the miter slot is much closer to the blade than on other saws, it seems. It's 3" from the center of the slot to the edge of the blade, so the head of a miter gauge world have to be less than 6" wide.

My incra is too wide and would hit the blade. Anyone have a Kreg they could measure for me (haven't found dimensions online)? Or other narrow-headed recommendations?

The miter slot is a standard 3/4" x 3/8".

A shop-made sled a possibility for later, but I would like to get him going with a decent gauge for now.

Thanks,
Tyler

I checked my factory Delta miter gauge and my Incra too.  Both are more than 3 inches from center of miter slot. 

But the Osborne EB-3 miter gauge will go less than 3 inches from center of slot *if* you remove the extension as I have done in this photo.

[Image: 51099457668_053064d4bc_c.jpg]

Mike
Ohio Mike Wrote:I checked my factory Delta miter gauge and my Incra too. Both are more than 3 inches from center of miter slot.

But the Osborne EB-3 miter gauge will go less than 3 inches from center of slot *if* you remove the extension as I have done in this photo.

That looks like a great solution. I was mostly thinking of the protractor head type miter gauges, which are usually too wide, but the Osborne uses a different approach. I've seen positive comments about them in the past, but have never used one.

It even looks like the extruded aluminum could be slid slightly further from the blade in your picture, if needed.

Thanks!
Tyler

Some older Craftsman tools had non standard miter slots, they looked like 3/4" but were less.  Suggest trying a standard miter bar to see if it fits.    Roly
Roly, yes, that's my understanding, although I haven't asked my dad to check his saw yet. Sounds like they can be a few thousandths less than a "normal" miter slot, just enough to cause problems.

The FAQ on the Osborne website specifically addresses the Craftsman saws and say the EB-3 fits.

Tyler
(04-05-2021, 11:55 PM)OneStaple Wrote: The miter slot is a standard 3/4" x 3/8".

How about the ones sold for bandsaws?  Got one that works on my Delta.  Google for yours.  Could be expensive...Miter Gauge Assy [5140075-35] for Porter Cable Power Tools | eReplacement Parts or name brand https://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/miter-g...-14/708716

FWIW, cheaper types often run a tad undersize.  Take your punch or nail set and punch up some metal on one side to firm it in the slot.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I love my obsourne 3 for sure.  I really like being able to adjust the miter gauge right next to the blade and the extra length.  Last one you will ever need.  And you can adjust the gauge to be exact 90 dgs to the blade.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.

The slot in my old Craftsman band saw is 0.730, as compared to 0.750 on my table saw.   Roly
Need miter gauge with narrow head