I need a wooden disk for a small project. I managed to obtain a disk cut from the trunk of a beech tree, that has just been cut out yesterday, so the wood is very fresh. I would like to do a project with it in summer, and I wondered if I could speed up the drying process a bit? I want to solve it the simple way, as in case I need to spend money on it, I had better buying the thing I want to make. I wondered what if I cover the two sides of the wood disk with wood glue, to close the pores, and put it to a sunny place to speed up drying? I want to avoid cracking as much as possible. Would this method work? The disk is 13 inch in diameter, and is 4 inch thick.

Consider this a bump, but I have heard of drying wood in a micro wave oven. Might be something to check out? No experience with it though.
(04-20-2021, 05:19 PM)Bencuri Wrote: I need a wooden disk for a small project. I managed to obtain a disk cut from the trunk of a beech tree, that has just been cut out yesterday, so the wood is very fresh. I would like to do a project with it in summer, and I wondered if I could speed up the drying process a bit? I want to solve it the simple way, as in case I need to spend money on it, I had better buying the thing I want to make. I wondered what if I cover the two sides of the wood disk with wood glue, to close the pores, and put it to a sunny place to speed up drying? I want to avoid cracking as much as possible. Would this method work? The disk is 13 inch in diameter, and is 4 inch thick.

Find someone with a vacuum kiln.  It's the only way I know of that is both fast and avoid cracking.  

John
Your real problem will be the cracking that is inevitable with woods that split easily. Drying can be done with fans or heat.  stick it in a closed vehicle sitting in the sun and it will dry.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
I have dried quite a few bowls in the microwave.  My method:  Weigh the bowl.  A home made balance scale would work.  Put the bowl in the microwave with a half cup of water to absorb the excess microwave energy as the wood dries.  Turn down the heat to power level 2 out of 10.  Set the timer for 5 to 8 minutes according to the size of the bowl.  Remove the bowl and let it cool.  Repeat until the bowl quits losing weight.  I don't do more than three microwave cycles without letting the bowl sit over night.  If it gains a slight amount of weight overnight, it's ready.
(04-20-2021, 07:41 PM)humanrace Wrote: I have dried quite a few bowls in the microwave.  My method:  Weigh the bowl.  A home made balance scale would work.  Put the bowl in the microwave with a half cup of water to absorb the excess microwave energy as the wood dries.  Turn down the heat to power level 2 out of 10.  Set the timer for 5 to 8 minutes according to the size of the bowl.  Remove the bowl and let it cool.  Repeat until the bowl quits losing weight.  I don't do more than three microwave cycles without letting the bowl sit over night.  If it gains a slight amount of weight overnight, it's ready.

So this way it doesn't crack? 

This microwawe thing seems a good solution for me so far.

(04-20-2021, 07:41 PM)humanrace Wrote: I have dried quite a few bowls in the microwave.  My method:  Weigh the bowl.  A home made balance scale would work.  Put the bowl in the microwave with a half cup of water to absorb the excess microwave energy as the wood dries.  Turn down the heat to power level 2 out of 10.  Set the timer for 5 to 8 minutes according to the size of the bowl.  Remove the bowl and let it cool.  Repeat until the bowl quits losing weight.  I don't do more than three microwave cycles without letting the bowl sit over night.  If it gains a slight amount of weight overnight, it's ready.

+1.  Good advice.

(04-21-2021, 09:29 AM)Bencuri Wrote: So this way it doesn't crack? 

Sometimes they crack sometimes they don't.  In my experience, if you don't try and dry too fast, cracking will be minimized.  Look over the piece carefully after each dry and cool cycle and if you suspect a crack is forming, fill it with thin CA glue before the next cycle.  This will prevent the small cracks from becoming big cracks.  By the time you finish drying, you may have MANY tiny cracks filled with CA glue, but once you start turning something out of the blank, all the glue and cracks will be removed.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
(04-21-2021, 09:29 AM)Bencuri Wrote: So this way it doesn't crack? 

Just be careful - a microwave is fully capable of igniting - or at least causing the wood to smolder if too much energy is applied. I know - I've done it!
The problem with a round is that they are very prone to cracking. They usually end up looking like Pac Man. A well-placed bowtie inlay can keep it a bit more stable after it cracks and it'll look cool too.

The good thing about a round is that they are all end grain and will dry pretty quickly.

I've got a bunch of Walnut rounds that are about to be flattened on my router sled jig and even with the cracks, they'll look great when sanded and finished. Good luck!
I would try polyethylene glycol (PEG). Submerge the piece in the PEG for 1-2 weeks.  The PEG will displace the water and prevent cracking. Air dry as needed. Actual times will depend on the thickness of the piece.
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
DIY drying wood