Sad 
I bought a Delta 28-190 12" bandsaw over 20 years ago and it's time to change the tires
Big Grin . I'm under the impression that most bandsaw wheels are held on with nuts, the top one with a right-hand thread and the bottom with a left-hand thread. This Delta is different. The top wheel is retained with a large flat-head slotted screw and the bottom wheel is held on with a hex-head screw (the parts list with the manual calls out DIN 912 6mm x 16mm, but doesn't say right or left thread.) I've reefed in both directions with the supplied allen wrench but I can't budge it. I'm afraid if I apply any more force I'll strip out the allen head. I'm thinking impact driver but I'd really like to know which way is off before I hammer away at it. Has anyone had any experience changing tires on this model Delta saw?

(Also, since neither wheel has ever been removed I'm a bit leery of the top one too, but I can probably change that tire while it's on the saw. For that matter I can probably do the bottom one too but it would be so much easier with the wheel on the bench in a vise. If I bugger it I'll have to spend a grand on a new Jet or Rikon. Hmmmm....)

I have never needed to remove the wheels to change the tires on my bandsaws.  Only had to do it on two though.
I agree, why remove the wheels to replace the tires.....
Throw your new tire into a bucket of hot soapy water , that will help.

I think the last time I also used a "C" clamp to hold the tire on while going around the rim-I think a spring clamp might also work.
Replacing bandsaw tires is a PITA
Thanks for the responses! I watched a few youtube videos on doing it both with the tires on a with them off. Taking the wheels off  obviously allows better access but other videos show it's clearly not necessary. There is very little info on this bandsaw and I was afraid the tires might be glued on. They weren't, and I got them off with only a mild hassle. Good thing too, since I can't get 'em off. 
Rolleyes  Waiting now for the brown truck-o'-happiness to deliver a new set. 
Yes
Delta 28-190 bandsaw wheel removal