Hi all

Does anyone know what the differences are in actual wooden clamps ( the ones sctually made of wood with a screw handle on each jaw). The price range is all over the place from rockler to lie nielsen/lee valley to amazon.

I have an old jorgensen 8” and a 6” wooden clamp that i am trying to find an equal matching mate.

(If you have any old jorgensens - made in the USA - that you are looking to offload, i would be interested) but for now, understanding the differences, if it is known would be helpful.

Thanks in advance
"Humble pie was delicious as an abstract motivational tool. But when you have to actually take a bite, it tastes terrible."
Dan Shaughnessy, boston globe on the Patriots loss in Superbowl XLII

Other than their brand names and origins and hence prices, very little difference in terms of clamping pressure and strength for the regular sizes to the largest ones. But the American ones use better hardware, and screw movements in general are better a little. Some Chinese handscrews perform very well for the price. 

Simon
A number of years ago, I used to travel around the country doing museum installs. I did not want to bring my Jorgensen clamps with me and lo and behold, Rockler had a sale. Large clamps for 1/2 price. I bought 4 and used them extensively on the road. While the quality wasn't the same as the Jorgensen's, the Rockler version performed very well. If you are looking for American made Jorgensen clamps, check Craigslist and local yardsales.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(04-24-2021, 07:21 PM)identity_crisis Wrote: Hi all

Does anyone know what the differences are in actual wooden clamps ( the ones sctually made of wood with a screw handle on each jaw). The price range is all over the place from rockler to lie nielsen/lee valley to amazon.  

I have an old jorgensen 8” and a 6” wooden clamp that i am trying to find an equal matching mate.

(If you have any old jorgensens - made in the USA - that you are looking to offload, i would be interested) but for now, understanding the differences, if it is known would be helpful.

Thanks in advance
Dubuque wooden handscrews, still made in USA, equal to, or better than anything Jorgensen ever made.
I know it’s just 2 blocks of wood and 2 acme screws so I’m trying not to overthink this (but I do). I’m leaning towards the Dubuque or Lie nielsen since they are made in US but I was curious if the made in china ones were a good value or just another commodity item made overseas with cheaper parts e.g screw threads not straight or slimmer wooden jaws of lesser wood etc...

I’ll definitely be checking local craigslist and yard sales as shipping second hand seems to be expensive and not really worth it.

My uses are holding taller pieces of wood on the bench when dovetailing and as additional supports for shelves during glue ups so nothing extravagant.
"Humble pie was delicious as an abstract motivational tool. But when you have to actually take a bite, it tastes terrible."

(04-25-2021, 12:06 PM)identity_crisis Wrote: I’ll definitely be checking local craigslist and yard sales as shipping second hand seems to be expensive and not really worth it.

I have at least a couple dozen of these, all bought at flea markets.  I rarely find anything worthwhile at yard sales.  I can pick them up at flea markets for $5-$10 each, depending on size and condition.  I don't notice any difference in performance between the various brands ( or no names) that I have.  They all work just fine.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(04-25-2021, 12:06 PM)identity_crisis Wrote: I was curious if the made in china ones were a good value or just another commodity item made overseas with cheaper parts e.g screw threads not straight or slimmer wooden jaws of lesser wood etc...

Even the Chinese F-style clamps sold at Harbor Freight are surprisingly good value. Imported handscrews are much cheaper because no one can beat the mass production facilities in China. In day to day use, one can hardly tell the difference between US made handscrews and the Chinese ones. But aluminum clamps are a different story. The Dubuque clamps outperform any Chinese or Taiwan ones by a mile.

Simon
If you are so inclined to buy new US made, the Lie Nielsen clamps are almost certainly made by Dubuque. All features are exactly the same, but you can get the Dubuque branded ones from Tools for Working Wood for a few dollars cheaper per clamp. LV also sells Dubuque clamps. I don't know why the LN or LV name on the clamp makes them more expensive. What makes the Dubuque ones higher quality is higher tolerances on the Acme threads and the screws are plated for better corrosion resistance and smoother operation.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Happened across these at Harry J Epstein ...

NOS Jorgensen 3/0 Hand Screw Clamps

NOS Jorgensen 0 Hand Screw Clamps
Thanks for all the information and responses.

I’m gonna grab them from lee valley since they have the free shipping offer.

Appreciate the links to epsteins - I always forget about him.
Wooden parallel screw clamps