Going through a move and will be putting my table saw, an older Delta Unisaw, into non-climate controlled storage for a while. Could be there anywhere from 3-18 months. It will be kept dry and under roof in a storage unit along with other tools and personal effects.
Anything in particular I should do to help it weather such storage life? Obviously clean it out. Perhaps Oil the heck of the top, trunnions and arbor?
Ray

I would go for preservative oil on the mechanical parts and high quality wax on the top
If you will have access to the saw, maybe a desiccant container also.
How about taking tension off the belts?

(04-26-2021, 07:44 PM)toolmiser Wrote: How about taking tension off the belts?

Excellent suggestion! I didn't think of that one.
thanks
Ray
All of my tools are in storage for 6 - 12 months in North Carolina and I used Corrosion X HD, which is for outdoor marine environments. It came highly recommended. I don’t have long term experience with it (we moved 2.5 weeks ago), but the reviews were positive and someone here had experience with it.

Fluid film.

36 months even in subzero temps. Auto, marine, industrial etc.

Simon
(04-26-2021, 07:22 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: Going through a move and will be putting my table saw, an older Delta Unisaw, into non-climate controlled storage for a while. Could be there anywhere from 3-18 months. It will be kept dry and under roof in a storage unit along with other tools and personal effects.
Anything in particular I should do to help it weather such storage life? Obviously clean it out.  Perhaps Oil the heck of the top, trunnions and arbor?

I put my tools in storage in similar circumstances (Coastal Carolina) for five years. The hand tools I took the wooden handles off and wiped them and the power tools down with 30 wt non-detergent motor oil. Was a job cleaning all of them but they were as  I left them.
My TS has been in storage for 3+ years. I used Boeshield. Good recommendation on either removing the belt(s) or loosening the tension. I live in central Florida, which can be a rust magnet. No rust on my table at all, as long as no standing water gets on it. If you can get to the motor, I'd try to rotate the motor every 6 months or so to prevent any seizing. I would not recommend covering the saw while in storage unless you are worried about protecting it from dust or roof leaks. If the cover is water proof and not breathable, it can facilitate condensation.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill

(04-29-2021, 07:28 AM)AHill Wrote: My TS has been in storage for 3+ years.  I used Boeshield.  Good recommendation on either removing the belt(s) or loosening the tension.

For long-term storage in a humid area, I'd remove the belts and spray the grooves with Boeshield.  Spray the worms and racks and any other unpainted metal while in there, like the arbor.  Belts don't have to be taken out; just moved to the side so they're not in the grooves.  But don't spray the belts.  
Raised
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I would put a heavy coat of butchers' wax on the cast iron.  You could use cosmoline, but it is awfully messy.

They also make a product that is similar to WD-40 but I would just use WD 40 on parts that cannot be waxed.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Table saw long term storage?