How do you tell? I apologize if that sounds stupid. I am going in the morning morning to look at a restoration project and it wasn't until a few minutes ago I realized it might be 3 phase. I don't want 3 phase since I don't have that kinda power.

Edit...not sure if a made a mistake or not. Still haven't plugged it in. Top is surface rust. Fence rails are rusty and the fence isn't complete.  What was I thinking?  I do love the look. Brought the buffer and the telephone shroud home too.

Attached Files Image(s)

"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11

It will be listed on the motor
Thanks. I guessess I should have thought of that. It's an old art deco style.
Three-phase will have four conductors in the power cord; three phase conductors and an equipment grounding conductor.

Single-phase will only have two phase conductors and an equipment grounding conductor.  

You can also look at the plug, if it has one, or pop the cover off the motor control and see how many phase conductors are connected to the contactor.  Not the push-button station, as that’s just a remote (probably low voltage, but doesn’t have to be), but the actual main contactor.  Which, if it’s old, will be a big old NEMA contactor, which is good.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"

(04-30-2021, 05:47 PM)TDKPE Wrote: Three-phase will have four conductors in the power cord; three phase conductors and an equipment grounding conductor.

Single-phase will only have two phase conductors and an equipment grounding conductor.  

You can also look at the plug, if it has one, or pop the cover off the motor control and see how many phase conductors are connected to the contactor.  Not the push-button station, as that’s just a remote (probably low voltage, but doesn’t have to be), but the actual main contactor.  Which, if it’s old, will be a big old NEMA contactor, which is good.
Thanks folks

(05-01-2021, 07:37 AM)Scott W Wrote: Thanks folks
Looks like a parts saw. This fell out. I either broke it or it was broken when I got it.
Patent date 1934

(05-01-2021, 11:41 AM)Scott W Wrote: Looks like a parts saw. This fell out. I either broke it or it was broken when I got it.
Patent date 1934

Looks like a busted up aluminum motor pulley.  That can be worked around or replaced (Renovo)

There are inspection plates on the end of the motor.  Remove two screws and the plate and look in.  A three phase motor will have a rotor and a shaft.  It will look pretty empty in there.  A single phase motor of that era will have brushes and a wound rotor with a commutator bars.  Also, three phase motors often have vent holes.  It looks like the end motor plate is missing.
Nice score. You can probably find a replacement for that pulley over at owwm.org.
Unisaw 3 phase or single phase...brought it home with pics