I have this Honda generator. Having a problem and thought I would throw it out here to see what the masses have to say. Just happened. Ran about one month ago as I always run it for exercise and make sure it starts. Now I can start it but is stops after about 5 seconds. Things I checked without getting into much because I am not that sure of what to look for. I checked for oil incase it was kicking out on low oil sensor but not the case. I checked the spark plug and it is clean and gapped right. I checked for gas in carb and there was in bowl and it is clean. There is high test gas which I have been using and it is full and clean. Put fresh in tank because it was about 1/4 full. 

Anyone have any ideas?? This thing is so heavy that I would hate to have to lift to bring to dealer. Thanks.
John T.

First, I'd make sure the choke isn't sticking closed. Take off the air cleaner and make sure all the linkage is moving freely. I'd also make sure you don't have the fuel line valve closed. If it's got a fuel filter, might take it off and blow through it to make sure fuel is flowing. Look for a pinched fuel line. Try starching it with the fuel cap loose to allow air flow... sometimes those little vent holes in the cap clog.

I'd start there.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

These generators also have a low oil pressure shut off. Might look into that. A clogged oil filter or failed oil pump will shut it down. Also, I believe you can check for error codes on this unit. Press the Information button (7 seconds iirc) and it might show you an error code. I don't think Honda publishes their error codes so if it's got a code, you might have to take it in. Maybe a google search of the code will help. Hondas have sensitive inverter issues. Sometimes something as simple as a bad ground will throw an inverter code and shut it down.

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Float slow at reopening?
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

(05-23-2021, 08:32 AM)EatenByLimestone Wrote: Float slow at reopening?

Which could be old gas varnish. I used to have this problem with one of my outboards. Petty sure ethanol was eating the fuel lines and depositing a goo in the float bowls making the float move very slowly.

... Kizar Sosay

To answer a few replys, The battery is dead on the generator and has been for awhile now so I have been starting with rip chord. Usually 2 pulls and starts right up. Now starts with one pull but shuts off. So I am unable to see codes or errors. I need to get a new battery and this maybe the time for that. When started and running then I can read everything. 

We have no non-ethanol gas in NJ where I am so I started using premium last year because someone told me it was better than the mid grade which I always was using before that. Who knows. 

I will try starting with cap off. I will take the air cleaner box off ( I do not think there is an air filter in there) and will spray carb cleaner in the carb. I will take the bowl off and check to see if dirty. 

As I said I turn off fuel valve and let run till dry and then drain bowl. I then turn key off. It is stored in my shed. I am not knowledegable enough to dismantle carb and clean. There are 2 motors on top of carb and from what I hear they are a pain to put back because of the little springs. If I can not get running I probably will have to take to a dealer. 

Thanks for the replys. I am reading them all.
John T.
I think I have that same model and because you mentioned that you needed a new battery have you by any chance taken the battery cover off and left it off? 
I did that with mine thinking no big deal but in fact the carb intake is regulated by that cover. 
Mine would run with it off but not very well and it surged like crazy. 
Just a thought. 
Sure fooled me for a long time!

(05-27-2021, 05:10 PM)Maddog Wrote: I think I have that same model and because you mentioned that you needed a new battery have you by any chance taken the battery cover off and left it off? 
I did that with mine thinking no big deal but in fact the carb intake is regulated by that cover. 
Mine would run with it off but not very well and it surged like crazy. 
Just a thought. 
Sure fooled me for a long time!

I have not taken it off. Will be getting a new battery next week. I heard that it will surge with a load on and that battery cover off. Thanks.
John T.
I used to work on all my small engine stuff.

Now, if I can't fix it pretty quickly, I take it to a shop. They usually figure it out and fix it reasonably.

I'm betting this is an easily fixed issue.

I would use a gas treatment TMK premium gas still has the same amount of ethanol in it.

When I bought my SCAG mower, I asked the guy about gas, he said the carbs nowadays are designed for ethanol gas, but still recommended using non-ethanol, especially in 2 cycle.

(06-03-2021, 08:34 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: I used to work on all my small engine stuff.

Now, if I can't fix it pretty quickly, I take it to a shop.  They usually figure it out and fix it reasonably.

I'm betting this is an easily fixed issue.

I would use a gas treatment TMK premium gas still has the same amount of ethanol in it.

When I bought my SCAG mower, I asked the guy about gas, he said the carbs nowadays are designed for ethanol gas, but still recommended using non-ethanol, especially in 2 cycle.

I will get back to all when I get around to really looking at this. But my knee gave out on me and I am having problems so not sure what I need to do there. But will tell you this. Tues I picked up a new battery because the old one was too far gone and could not be recharged. That was my fault also. Never bought a charger. But now have one. That was dead for over 2 years and I always pulled the chord. But I wanted to see if there was an error code that maybe of some help. Well sure enough the oil sensor light. Now I was not able to replace oil yet or sensor if need be. But I did start the gen after 2 tries and the light went out and it stayed running for about a min when I had to shut down because it was filling shed with fumes. When knee gets better I will be able to wheel out and work on it and I believe it is fixable without going to shop but I made arrangements in case though. Bad timing on the knee.
John T.
Honda EU6500is Generator