Hi, 

This is my first post.  I'm a golden oldie that used to build fine furniture back in the 60s.
I currently don't have much room so I'm using an old Shopsmith.

I would like to catch-up on WoodShop magazines and I was going to get the magazines on USB.  Then I saw I had three choices.

What's the difference among Woodsmith, ShopNotes and Workbench magazines?
What USB would you recommend?

Thank you for your time and patients,
Don
I don't need another hobby....but that looks fun!

I personally subscribe to Woodsmith, plus I also watch the show on Saturdays
Here's my take on it. Woodsmith ( the later issues) include what was left of ShopNotes in their current offerings. When it was published, ShopNotes focused on utility projects, such as shop built tools. During that time, Woodsmith was mostly more about the mainstream woodworking; like furniture, gifts, some tips/techniques, etc. I've subscribed to Woodsmith for a long time and will probably continue to do so (they also sponsor this forum). I've subscribed to ShopNotes various times in the past and it wasn't to my liking though many here enjoyed it. I remember subscribing to Workbench years ago and honestly cannot remember much about it. If you can find an old issue or 2 of ShopNotes to look at it would help your decision, I gave all mine away at some time in the past. I still keep my issues of Woodsmith, but I intend to ditch them in favor of the thumb drive. Having moved twice and carried them with me, it's time to make life a little easier.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Woodsmith and ShopNotes are both magazines published by the sponsor of WoodNet. They were combined into one magazine Woodsmith a few years ago. Workbench has morphed into My Home. My Style.

Woodsmith: Mostly projects and how to build them.
ShopNotes: Shop techniques, tool setup and maintenance.

I don't think I've ever looked at a Workbench Magazine. The projects in Woodsmith are somewhat dated (they love mission / craftsman style - oak and cherry abound!), but the methodology is solid and they always provide sources for the hardware used in their projects. Not a lot of fluff in either Woodsmith or ShopNotes. I highly recommend getting the USB that has both. I can't comment either way on Workbench.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Much the same here; I've been a subscriber to Woodsmith since nearly the beginning.  It probably taught me more about how to build things than any other source.  Having said that, I find Fine Woodworking to be a better source of inspiration and learning about new techniques and trends.  As a maker of fine furniture I think you should get a copy or two and see if it would be a good compliment to other choices.  

John
While there are lots of good comments here about the magazine's content, I'd like to question the format. 

I own the several USB's (Shopsmith, Woodsmith, Fine WW, Wood, etc) and find them wonderful for searching, I find it less enjoyable reading on the screen then sitting with an actual magazine. 

Before you get the USB, are you used to reading on either your screen or a Kindle type device?

(05-28-2021, 11:25 AM)taxman Wrote: While there are lots of good comments here about the magazine's content, I'd like to question the format. 

I own the several USB's (Shopsmith, Woodsmith, Fine WW, Wood, etc) and find them wonderful for searching, I find it less enjoyable reading on the screen then sitting with an actual magazine. 

Before you get the USB, are you used to reading on either your screen or a Kindle type device?

After getting a 10" tablet I boxed up all my Woodsmith and Shopsmith issues and gave them to a friend. Books went to the local library.
I now read everything including magazines, books, owners manuals, etc. on a tablet. Everything at my fingertips in one place. When my old eyes get tired I make the print a little bigger. I can take a break from reading and watch tv or a movie without getting out of my recliner.

Now, the problem is what to do with all those book cased and cabinets I built to house the books, magazines, VHS tapes, etc. I guess I could use my fireplace a little more often. 
Big Grin

--
See ya later,
Bill
(05-28-2021, 11:25 AM)taxman Wrote: While there are lots of good comments here about the magazine's content, I'd like to question the format. 

You can always print out any article from their USB pdf files.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I appreciate all the response. I think I will get the WoodSmith USB for starters; thanks MT Woodworker, fredhargis, AHill, jteneyck and taxman.
The PBS show was/is not available in Tucson.
I certainly know what you mean (taxman) about reading documents on the computer vs a hard copy. I'm pretty good with pdf and computer documents.
Are these pdf files? Is there's a way to printout a template and scale it?
-------------------
Regardless of my 'not active' status, I seem to be able to post and manage my profile.
I hope soon to figure out how to subscribe to a thread. I didn't realize you guys had responded so soon.
Although I think I read that might be a software issue.
I don't need another hobby....but that looks fun!
Don, if you want the Woodsmith thumb drive they have a special at the moment. Instead of $99, it's $84.95...not much of a savings, but still better than nothing. The problem is they've sold out and it's backordered. Anyway, if you're interested go to Woodsmith.com/dad; it's a Father's Day special.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Magazine differences