Before I knew what I was – sort of – doing I purchased T-Track that used 5/16” T-bolts. I made an auxiliary table for my drill press and installed this hardware using epoxy and screws.

Since then I have made jigs and other work surfaces that incorporate 1/4” T-Track that accept standard 1/4” hex head bolts. The problem I encounter is the 1/4” hex head bolts in my clamps lock down to the 5/16” T-Trqck but spin freely until there is sufficient pressure against the bolt head. This usually requires three hands.

I needed a solution that would allow the use of the 1/4” hex bolts in both size T-Tracks.

A cross pin installed in the head of the 1/4” bolts was the answer. The cross pin prevents the bolt from spinning freely but still allows it to be used in the different size T-Tracks.

I was going to use a finishing nail as the cross pin but found a perfect alternative being the very dull HSS 5/64” twist bit I used to drill half way through the first bolt head. Switching to a Cobalt 5/64” twist bit made drilling the holes a simple process.

Bill

If you need more bolts you can buy 1/4" toilet bolts at the hardware store. These have a large flat oval head and will slide in with little or no modification.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!

(06-03-2021, 04:02 PM)KyleD Wrote: If you need more bolts you can buy 1/4" toilet bolts at the hardware store. These have a large flat oval head and will slide in with little or no modification.

Memory failure -

I was reminded by your post that I had used 1/4" carriage bolts to accomplish the same thing. A minute with a strip sander to flatten the head and take a bit off each side is all it takes. They were cheaper than toilet bolts.

Bill
T-Track Upgrade