I'm looking to upgrade to a 12" sliding CMS, one of the styles that doesn't have to tubes sticking out the back. I'm looking for the best cut and keeping it as square as possible. A laser is nice, but not critical since I have the Kreg measurement system.

There are several different models with this now, Bosch, Makita, Delta, Metabo, and of course Festool. I'm leaning towards Bosch or Makita and am looking for experience and recommendations here. I know the Kapex is great, but out of my price range. This would not be portable, so I don't need a battery powered one.

Recommendations?
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.

I have an older Bosch glide. I love that saw. I have never used a Makita so can't compare.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I have the new Bosch Glide saw. It's smooth, accurate, quiet and has some pretty cool features to it.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
I would suggest visiting HD and Lowes and playing with the finalists on your list. There were several that I considered until I tried adjusting display models. Between slop in the arm azimuth angle and difficulties unlocking and locking the angle settings, I never bought any of them.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
"I would suggest visiting HD and Lowes and playing with the finalists on your list."

Like they carry those models, lol. I was able to see both at Menards a few months ago and was pretty impressed with both. Unfortunately, they are about 9 hours away....
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
I have the Metabo HPT 10" dual bevel slider and it's been fine for my use. I use it as a construction tool on a mobile stand though and do not use it in the shop for "real" woodworking. The laser and LED is mostly unnecessary for me and my use. The sliding mechanism is good and the bevel and miter adjustments are fairly decent. I'm not sure if that really helps you for what you want to do. in the shop, I use an old Dewalt GWI radial arm saw for precise cuts outside of my Unisaw.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP

(06-08-2021, 10:39 AM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: I have the Metabo HPT 10" dual bevel slider and it's been fine for my use. I use it as a construction tool on a mobile stand though and do not use it in the shop for "real" woodworking. The laser and LED is mostly unnecessary for me and my use. The sliding mechanism is good and the bevel and miter adjustments are fairly decent. I'm not sure if that really helps you for what you want to do. in the shop, I use an old Dewalt GWI radial arm saw for precise cuts outside of my Unisaw.

I have the C10FSHC(T). I have it on a Ridgid MS SUV (or whatever it's called) but it's mostly stationary. I got mine from Big Sky Tools for about $138 level A refurbed. The biggest weakness IMO is the fence, it didn't sit perpendicular to the bed. I called Big Sky and they sent me a couple more, said that was a common weakness in that saw. Neither of the fences they sent me was perfect but I kept the best one and worked it a little so it's very close to perpendicular. When I read the manual ( WHAT!?!?!
Laugh ) all the miter and bevel cuts are shown with the work flat. I guess that's why they don't worry about non-perpendicular fences. A little time with vise, pipe wrench, sandpaper and a file and the fence is very close. Some people complain about slop in the miter settings. There is a little, about 1/4* on mine. There is a locking mechanism that can be adjusted by turning a hex shaft underneath the miter adjustment. I pushed the miter arm against the notch and locked it then set the fence accordingly. It seems about as accurate as I can measure.

Edit: I think there are two versions of this saw. The first one had a soft start motor that was problematic. The saws with (T) after the model don't have a soft start motor but also don't have the issues associated with it.
What iclark says. A BMW fan will tell you his car is better than an Audi and vice versa. A test drive will tell you what is better for YOU. Same with buying a miter saw. 

Try a kapex...I know you have ruled it out.....just to get a feel of all the features and controls and use them as benchmarks when you compare the other options. How close are those options to a kapex relatively.

Simon
A laser was mentioned and I know these can be added on, but I really like mine. I don't consider them accurate for cutting to length, but they do help when trying to find an angle. The biggest thing is safety, if I ever turn the saw on an the laser shows on flesh, I know I need to do something different, no argument.
I love my Kapex, and have no regrets. But I kept my Milwaukee slider in case I ever need to stick frame something. A construction grade miter the Kapex is not.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
Sliding CMS Recommendations