I found a solidly rusted box in an antique store .Without the tag, it was cheap, since I'm not a collector,  it didn't matter. I shot it with penetrating oil and left it for over a year. I checked it out recently and it had loosened up. Some questions. I take it, the first # ?xx is the frame size, what box lengths are Type 2 and Type 3 ?

Are the saw guides sized to saw blade depths ?  I found a Shirley Deitrech  (sp) 5"x26" bladed backsaw at the fleamarket .  In Canada, SD are considered top line saws.

THX
A man of foolish pursuits

(06-07-2021, 03:25 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: I found a solidly rusted box in an antique store .Without the tag, it was cheap, since I'm not a collector,  it didn't matter. I shot it with penetrating oil and left it for over a year. I checked it out recently and it had loosened up. Some questions. I take it, the first # ?xx is the frame size, what box lengths are Type 2 and Type 3 ?

Are the saw guides sized to saw blade depths ?  I found a Shirley Deitrech  (sp) 5"x26" bladed backsaw at the fleamarket .  In Canada, SD are considered top line saws.

THX

Issac at Blackburn got the Rose catalog archive and put it up at this site:  http://blackburntools.com/articles/rose-...index.html

Scroll down to Stanley and check out the various catalog descriptions, as I recall they are fairly detailed.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

(06-07-2021, 04:07 PM)Admiral Wrote: Issac at Blackburn got the Rose catalog archive and put it up at this site:  http://blackburntools.com/articles/rose-...index.html

Scroll down to Stanley and check out the various catalog descriptions, as I recall they are fairly detailed.

Thanks that both helps and was informative . I forgot about blackburn.
(06-07-2021, 03:25 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: I found a solidly rusted box in an antique store .Without the tag, it was cheap, since I'm not a collector,  it didn't matter. I shot it with penetrating oil and left it for over a year. I checked it out recently and it had loosened up. Some questions. I take it, the first # ?xx is the frame size, what box lengths are Type 2 and Type 3 ?

THX

For the Stanley line of "pro" miter boxes, the first digit is the frame size; the second is the width of blade under the spine, and the third is the second digit of the saw length (the first digit of the saw's length is presumed to be 2 (for 20") in most cases.*

Taking as an example, a 346 box. It is a frame 3; the saw measures 4" under the spine, and the saw is 26" long.

Two other important points: 1) miter saw lengths are given for the entire length of the blade, with the actual toothline typically being 2" less in length due to the clipped heel, and 2) boxes labelled with only a frame number (and no 3-digit number as above) were sold without saws.

*in the case of the 360 and 460 boxes, the third digit (zero) refers to a 30" long saw.

(06-07-2021, 04:54 PM)Joe Bailey Wrote: For the Stanley line of "pro" miter boxes, the first digit is the frame size; the second is the width of blade under the spine, and the third is the second digit of the saw length (the first digit of the saw's length is presumed to be 2 (for 20") in most cases.*

Taking as an example, a 346 box. It is a frame 3; the saw measures 4" under the spine, and the saw is 26" long.

Two other important points: 1) miter saw lengths are given for the entire length of the blade, with the actual toothline typically being 2" less in length due to the clipped heel, and 2) boxes labelled with only a frame number (and no 3-digit number as above) were sold without saws.

*in the case of the 360 and 460 boxes, the third digit (zero) refers to a 30" long saw.

I'm guessing a 200 series. I have a later #60 miter box I bought off the daughter  a few years back. And she was my age, I'm retired, so her dad would be of my dad's generation.   The # 2xx is quite a step up over the #60.  I like the #60, over a SCMS, you can pack it.
Stanley Miter Box From the '20s