I installed one in LOML's greenhouse. On the AC it says "Use on single outlet circuit only". Does this mean that it should be on it's own breaker? I think that's odd.
Jim

(06-09-2021, 12:49 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: I installed one in LOML's greenhouse. On the AC it says "Use on single outlet circuit only". Does this mean that it should be on it's own breaker? I think that's odd.

That is what it means.   Probably because of the starting current if combined with another load may trip the breaker.   Roly
That sounds like what it means.  If you look at the current draw that's stamped or on a sticker somewhere, it's probably close to 12A.  Which is 80% of a 15A circuit, and an A/C unit is considered a continuous load and/or a motor load per the NEC, but in either case, you're supposed to size the circuit to a minimum of 125% of such loads.  It would be too big to share a circuit with other loads.  

It's up to you what you do, but that would be the reasoning for that comment.  That, and legal CYA.  I personally wouldn't lose sleep over having a table lamp on the same circuit, but I wouldn't put other continuous loads of any magnitude on the same circuit unless it is a 20A circuit.

And even that assumes the A/C unit doesn't have a 20A plug on it, though while uncommon on 120V appliances, would require a 20A circuit.   
Raised

Edit: Roly was too fast.  Or I was too verbose.
Big Grin
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I have 2 AC units on a shared circuit.  If I run both at the same time I will pop the circuit breaker.  Both are just 6,000 BTUs which is on the small side.  Larger ones will pop the circuit even faster.

One AC unit is in the guest bedroom and the other is in the living room (as a booster for the main AC in that room).  It is rare that the two would be on at the same time.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
One of the most common causes of air conditioner leaks and dripping water is air leakage, which can occur for various reasons. An air vent must be used to ensure that all air conditioners are operating at peak performance. There are many reasons why air leaks can occur. As a result, the air is not flowing through the vent as efficiently as it could. Attitude is probably leaking out of the system, resulting in sub-optimal performance. Checking your equipment for air leakage through the grills around the vent will confirm if there is air leakage. To determine if you have an air leak, you should check, aircon dripping water
Window AC question